Question Intel Core i7-6700k - Upgrade... Yes or No?

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I have a Gigabyte Z170X MB, Intel Core i7-6700K CPU, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Fan, 32GB DDR4 Memory and several Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD's. I'm debating if I should upgrade to the latest and greatest MB/CPU/RAM or not. I've been looking for reviews and benchmarks, including the heirharchy chart here on Tom's. If I upgraded, it looks like the i9-9900K would be the flagship model for this class of process. I used to judge partially by a new processor being a minimum of 3 tiers above the existing CPU, but my CPU and the 9900k are not yet merged in a single chart. Any advice? Should I go with Coffee Lake or wait for Cannon Lake?

I've recently been playing Fallout 76. My GPU is an AMD RADEON RX 580 w/4GB. Most of what I do are general everyday things such as office, email, web browsing, p2p, downloads, etc. It's nice to be able to do video editing and custom Blu-ray compilations and conversions when I feel the need to do so. I frequently work with large files over 8GB in size. My internet connection is FIOS Gigabit and 4 of the 6 drives in my system are Samsung 850/860 1TB EVO SSD, the other 2 are WD Black 1TB 7200RPM HDD. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (yeah, I know). I will finally be upgrading to Win10 in early January 2020 before Windows 7 support goes end of life by the middle of the month. I think that sums things up.

-- masop

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I'd say the Hyper 212 Evo is good for 4.5GHz on the i7-6700K, and 4.5GHz is as good for anything as 4.8GHz.
Thanks everyone for the comments. I haven't tried OC'ing my CPU yet. I got this model just incase I decided to OC, but never have. The RX 580 is one of the cards from my 6 card scrypt crypto currency mining rig. I also have an AMD RX Vega 64 I could tap for my main PC though it does pull quite a bit more power and runs more hot than the 580 does. I have a 1000W PSU in my main PC, so that shouldn't be a problem. I've used it before for gaming briefly back when I was testing the 2 models in 2017 after it was released.

-- masop