Intel Core i7-8700K Price Climbs to $400

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I'm not saying the rise in price is nothing, but going up $40 on a build that is already going to knocking on the door of $1000 is not that huge a deal. It might make for some shifting on plans, but it's not exactly back-breaking. It's a bigger deal for the lower end products, the $200 range going up by $40 is a bigger problem for what is likely already a budget build.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Why is that funny? AMD can't even sell their chips at MSRP when Intel is struggling to meet demand and getting crushed in the press. That shouldn't be funny to anyone. Wasn't competition from AMD supposed to lower prices?

It was but the competition is not 100%. AMD is good but to really get prices to lower they need K8 like performance. It was very dominant. Right now in a per clock they are not. They are per core since they offer more cores per dollar but if you compare similar core counts Intel edges ahead which allows Intel to keep their price advantage.

If, and I say if as it is unknown till it releases, AMDs "7nm" CPUs can out edge Intel in performance that would be competition worthy of price drops.

However if we look at the past, when AMD was in the performance lead they did not keep the same lower prices. In fact their pricing was higher. Even after Core 2 they were still higher overall.

Until then it looks like everything is going up. RAM, for not reason other than stupid reasons, CPUs. Next they will make up a NAND shortage again to hike those back up.

Considering 9th-gen is set to release in the next 2 weeks, could this not be a controlled shortage? I know they did that with the Pentium G4560 in early 2017 did they not? I wouldn't put it past them now either.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So now that intel has competition, they raise the price... clearly getting desperate to please the shareholders with too little production capacity due to the 10nm blunders.

rabbit4me1

Honorable
Jan 2, 2017
For started with the ram.. hard drives than ssds. Looks like the CPU peeps have finally gotten jealous. So when this finally catches up and stabilizes any bets on what's going to go up next?

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Intel didn't raise the price. Amazon did. Intel is getting zero additional money from these price increases. This is the same thing as the mining bubble. Retailers jack up the prices and walk away with all the additional profits, while Nvidia and AMD took all the heat from the idiots on the internet blaming them for the price increases.

Specter0420

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Looks like I have some lucky timing. Yesterday I got an i7-8086K with a z370 mobo for $440, it is crazy that this thing hits 5.2 Ghz on all cores with air cooling. I picked up a 16GB DDR4 kit that runs at 3.6Ghz for $160 too. I'm not sure if this is a great deal but I am satisfied with this $600 upgrade. I came from an i7-920 OCed to 3.6 Ghz and honestly, this upgrade feels a little underwhelming for what it is... 10 years later and 2-3 times the performance... Remember when we got that every year and a half?