Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition Review

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joel_atkins

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
The 990X looks insane and would be awesome having one to experience true power, enjoyed reading the article.
Couldn't find the link to enter the draw but ah well, apparently people outside America can't go into the draw anyway, but I'm not going to bitch, hopes were up, and now down, the end.

kennyroody

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
I would love to throw that i990x in my x7200 laptop. Beats the heck out of my my i930. I wonder if my heatsink can handle that. That would be a monster of a laptop.

~SGT Kenny - Iraq

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]kennyroody[/nom]I would love to throw that i990x in my x7200 laptop. Beats the heck out of my my i930. I wonder if my heatsink can handle that. That would be a monster of a laptop.~SGT Kenny - Iraq[/citation]Some companies are shipping that configuration.

kennyroody

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Some companies are shipping that configuration.[/citation]
With a pricetag to match, the basic config from with the i990x and similar config to mine is close to $5k. When I purchased mine with the 2x 485m's and i930 it was only 2,600... They seem to want a lot more for that processor and supported memory.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]kennyroody[/nom]With a pricetag to match, the basic config from with the i990x and similar config to mine is close to $5k. When I purchased mine with the 2x 485m's and i930 it was only 2,600... They seem to want a lot more for that processor and supported memory.[/citation]You don't need new memory to run that CPU :)

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]joshyboy82[/nom]Better question, when are you going to announce the winners. There, that is a bit more specific.[/citation]

The winners have all been contacted--we're able to announce once everyone turns in their paperwork. If anyone does not respond or return their tax forms, we'll move down the list. Look for an announcement in the next few days!

Chris

G

I actually use my workstation not just for gaming, but also for VMware Workstation, where 6 physical cores and 24GB of RAM is useful. So for that, it's completely worth using the i7-980x I picked up. Of course, money isn't an issue, so this wasn't about cos vs performance... it was about having a true workstation without going down the Xeon route.

xsnac

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Hi i would love to win an i7 extreme. I need a better proccesor to play starcraft 2 , pc lagging big time on fights 200/200 and i cant even micro , computer full freeze. fuck is so frustrating not being able to perform well cuz not enough $$

Status
Not open for further replies.