Intel Core i7 Servers From Visionman Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
...supports port teaming (insert Shawshank Redemption reference here)...
I love that movie, but I can't figure out what reference this would be to in the movie... Maybe I've already shutdown my brain for the holidays.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
"The Intel core i7 processor was actually designed with high performance server applications in mind and Intel plans to officially launch their server-focused, Xeon branded offering based on the Core i7 platform in Q1-2009."

Says it all, you cant call this a server when its got desktop parts. Simple as that.

Well it is a server, if that's what it is used as, especially if it has a server oriented OS installed. Still, serious businesses expect Xenon and Opteron server oriented systems rather than their desktop counterparts for critical tasks. For the SMB market though this is a perfect performance server.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
yep, Intel core i7 processor was actually designed with high performance server applications since AMD's Opteron processors are quite good compared to intel xeon's

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]gwolfman[/nom]I love that movie, but I can't figure out what reference this would be to in the movie... Maybe I've already shutdown my brain for the holidays.[/citation]
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

G

@martel50: I agree that this box has a limited lifetime: once the real i7 Xeons come out, they'll be the best thing out there. In the mean time, the i7 destroys Core 2-based Xeons, performance-wise.

For some memory-intensive number crunching I've been doing, an i7 takes 33% to 50% less time to run than a similarly-clocked Core 2 Xeon and I've seen near linear scaling in multi-threaded performance on an i7, but very poor scaling on the Core 2 Xeon system (due mostly to FSB saturation). So, even though the current i7 parts are "desktop", the Core 2 Xeon CPUs are basically repurposed laptop processors.

androticus

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Nice job Tom's! Repackage a press release for a workstation using existing i7 chips calling itself a "server" as if it was an actual real news article! Not only is a workstation based on a desktop chip not a "server", but the title is egregiously misleading, since no real servers will come out until Intel releases the Xeon.

huipri

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
There is still one thing I don’t fully understand.
How can ECC memory be used/supported while the current Intel Core i7 processors officially do not support ECC memory ?
Could anyone please explain this ?

mickrussom

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
No ECC support on Core i7 means the memory controller was never verified to actually work. Intel is showing how arrogant and pompous they are because AMD is in the toilet right now. Shameful, no ECC in 2009.

No ECC == I don't buy. Period. Enjoy the recession Intel alienating your customers (that actually have money).

Status
Not open for further replies.