agentted8

Honorable
Jan 23, 2018
Why does this cpu run so damn hot? Doesn't seem like it matters what I do to try to keep it cool under heavy load without throttling the performance. I'm using a liquid cooler with a 360 radiator and the damn thing still runs 90c to 100c on heavy loads. Idle it runs around 27c-35c.

Is this just normal for this cpu?

Normal operation for 12th gen K processors and later.

That operation is as designed and is designed to get the maximum productivity out of your cpu given the cooling capability.
The processor is designed to run at 100c.
If the load pushes temps past 100c. the processor just slows down a bit until normalcy resumes.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-The motherboards have preset overclocks applied. Optimized defaults or stock may not be what they say they are.
-The overclocked settings are too aggressive.
-Intel hasn't been enforcing any default settings for the vendors to use. They are either 'in spec', or they're not.
-Possible ILM warping. See this.

Check motherboard support for an Intel Baseline bios update. Probably won't be there, since it was recently done for Raptor Lake(Refresh), but it doesn't hurt to check.
If not, you'll have to try manually changing settings, but I don't know all the ones you need to change.

The processor is designed to run at 100c.
If the load pushes temps past 100c. the processor just slows down a bit until normalcy resumes.
The load can't push the CPU above 100, as long as the thermal protection is in place.
At 100 the processor just doesn't increase the performance anymore and stays at the level it is in, in other words the overclock maxes out at that point, the workload has to increase the amount of power it uses, while still at 100, for the CPU to drop to lower clocks.

TheHerald

Prominent
Feb 15, 2024
Why does this cpu run so damn hot? Doesn't seem like it matters what I do to try to keep it cool under heavy load without throttling the performance. I'm using a liquid cooler with a 360 radiator and the damn thing still runs 90c to 100c on heavy loads. Idle it runs around 27c-35c.

Is this just normal for this cpu?
Mine runs at around 75c on CBR23 (28k score) with a single tower air cooler. I'm using liquid metal instead of paste but don't think it makes such a huge difference.

agentted8

Honorable
Jan 23, 2018
-The motherboards have preset overclocks applied. Optimized defaults or stock may not be what they say they are.
-The overclocked settings are too aggressive.
-Intel hasn't been enforcing any default settings for the vendors to use. They are either 'in spec', or they're not.
-Possible ILM warping. See this.

Check motherboard support for an Intel Baseline bios update. Probably won't be there, since it was recently done for Raptor Lake(Refresh), but it doesn't hurt to check.
If not, you'll have to try manually changing settings, but I don't know all the ones you need to change.
Pardon the belated reply.

I checked to see if there was any sort of warping, fortunately there isn't. I am not very familiar with this motherboard.
The motherboard is "TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI", latest bios as of this post.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The motherboard is "TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI", latest bios as of this post.
Bios 3501? Yes, it brings the Intel Baseline profile. Go into the Ai Tweaker section of bios and be sure it's on, 'cause I don't know if they programmed the board to enable it by default after the update is performed.

After that, the rest depends a bit on knowing what model of 360mm cooler and case.
Oh, and radiator orientation:
-top exhaust: cooled by case ambient
-front intake: cooled by room ambient

agentted8

Honorable
Jan 23, 2018
Bios 3501? Yes, it brings the Intel Baseline profile. Go into the Ai Tweaker section of bios and be sure it's on, 'cause I don't know if they programmed the board to enable it by default after the update is performed.

After that, the rest depends a bit on knowing what model of 360mm cooler and case.
Oh, and radiator orientation:
-top exhaust: cooled by case ambient
-front intake: cooled by room ambient
My radiator is in the front with the tubes on the bottom so there shouldn't be an issue with the cooler otherwise things would be a lot worse.

After going through the bios, the AI Tweaker is default on and set to normal but there were a lot of things I don't know enough about to start messing with. Most of the settings are on auto.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My radiator is in the front with the tubes on the bottom so there shouldn't be an issue with the cooler otherwise things would be a lot worse.
Ah no, I'm also asking for the exact model of the cooler because:
-curvature/flatness of the cold plate and IHS
-location of the die(s)
Factors like the above cause models to be more effective on the Intel platform vs AMD and vice versa.

After going through the bios, the AI Tweaker is default on and set to normal but there were a lot of things I don't know enough about to start messing with. Most of the settings are on auto.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdF5erDRO-c

06:32 - 08:13: Enabling Intel Baseline Profile, with Asus being the first example
If you've done that, there should be no need to dig into anything else in bios.