News Intel Core i9-12900K Smashes Multiple World Records at 6.8 GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Lol why were they afraid to list the power consumption.
Why would they need to?

Ever since they been leaks of this processor all the AMD fanboys are saying yes but how much power!

Most people that just look for the best performance don't really care about power draw. You buy a video card that takes over 300 watts and it really don't matter if the processor draws 200 or 150 watts.

EDIT Still the OC all time record FX 8370 @ 8.7

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I mean, even if you care about power draw in general, there's still no reason to care about power draw during extreme OC. It clearly has nothing to do with the power draw you'll actually see if using this CPU.

I mean, even if you care about power draw in general, there's still no reason to care about power draw during extreme OC. It clearly has nothing to do with the power draw you'll actually see if using this CPU.
If they are going to post "world records" at least have all the details.

The fact that power draw is irrelevant in this extreme case makes it all the more interesting to see how high the power draw is.

If their goal is to brag about large numbers then you might as well include them all.

6.8 Gigahertz while drawing a hypothetical 680 watts is still respectable even with a draw of 680 watts.

Makaveli

Splendid
Why would they need to?

Ever since they been leaks of this processor all the AMD fanboys are saying yes but how much power!

Most people that just look for the best performance don't really care about power draw. You buy a video card that takes over 300 watts and it really don't matter if the processor draws 200 or 150 watts.

EDIT Still the OC all time record FX 8370 @ 8.7

TerryLaze and I had this discussion in another thread so I was actually waiting for these numbers to be posted.

For me personally the power draw matters and more so in the summer. I've had overclocked intel machines in the past and in a room with no AC it heats up the room alot, when you load up both the CPU and the GPU.

And now that I have a 300watt gpu in my system I don't want a 300 watt cpu aswell, but this will be different for everyone and what you will tolerate.

Based on the information released today we know the top sku will do 241watts which I consider conservative based on what Intel said for rocketlake. I expect 280+ once you load it up but will see what the reviews show next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWNoctis

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
TerryLaze and I had this discussion in another thread so I was actually waiting for these numbers to be posted.

For me personally the power draw matters and more so in the summer. I've had overclocked intel machines in the past and in a room with no AC it heats up the room alot, when you load up both the CPU and the GPU.

And now that I have a 300watt gpu in my system I don't want a 300 watt cpu aswell, but this will be different for everyone and what you will tolerate.

Based on the information released today we know the top sku will do 241watts which I consider conservative based on what Intel said for rocketlake. I expect 280+ once you load it up but will see what the reviews show next week.
Spoken by a true AMD user all they way. I have AC in my house and could care less about anything but performance.

I wonder where all these people were when the FX 9XXX series were out.

I think this is why the AMD users are mad 100 less for a better processor.
$269 for a 12600K that will likely beat a 5800X..

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If they are going to post "world records" at least have all the details.
How do you know they even measured the power? It takes dedicated test equipment to do that accurately, which they may not have bothered with given power doesn't really matter for extreme OC. This is a short article that is largely a fluff piece, they don't mention any temperatures or voltages either, which I would consider much more relevant then power draw here.

Where were the demands for the power draw values when splave set a record OCing a 5950X? https://www.tomshardware.com/news/overclocking-5950x-to-6-ghz-16-cores

I'm assuming makaveli read the article given he 'liked' it in the forums, but for some reason the lack of power draw measurements apparently wasn't worth remarking on in that case.

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Based on the information released today we know the top sku will do 241watts which I consider conservative based on what Intel said for rocketlake. I expect 280+ once you load it up but will see what the reviews show next week
Rocket lake abided by its stated PL values unless you explicitly over ruled them via BIOS settings. I don't expect alder lake to be any different. But either way, that has nothing to do with power draw during an extreme 6.8 GHz OC.

Reactions: Makaveli

Makaveli

Splendid
Spoken by a true AMD user all they way. I have AC in my house and could care less about anything but performance.

I wonder where all these people were when the FX 9XXX series were out.

I think this is why the AMD users are mad 100 less for a better processor.
$269 for a 12600K that will likely beat a 5800X..

Imao there is no need to get all up in your feelings boss.

And you caring about just performance is great but I don't remember asking you any of that. I simply made a statement it matters for some.

And projecting much who is mad?

Last edited:

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021

To think that once upon a time 150W was considered excessive for the infamously hot Pentium 4...Technology sure had marched on.

Even though a single AL E-core would probably have more throughput than a dual-core P4, I could only wonder why they are pushing thermal margins like that.

Gonna see what the reviews say.

Reactions: Makaveli

Makaveli

Splendid
Rocket lake abided by its stated PL values unless you explicitly over ruled them via BIOS settings. I don't expect alder lake to be any different. But either way, that has nothing to do with power draw during an extreme 6.8 GHz OC.

And I agree LN2 runs and normal usage are not comparable.

To think that once upon a time 150W was considered excessive for the infamously hot Pentium 4...Technology sure had marched on.

Even though a single AL E-core would probably have more throughput than a dual-core P4, I could only wonder why they are pushing thermal margins like that.

Gonna see what the reviews say.

Ah yes the P4 it was a hot one and even more so in the later versions.

And I believe they are pushing the margins to keep clock speeds high.

I've built so many AMD and Intel systems in the last 20 years its sometimes interesting to see the different choices both X86 vendors do when they design and how many years you get out of an arch before you have to replace it.

Last edited:

splave

Contributing Writer
Editor
Jan 4, 2019
So it's a best-in-class record, but "world record" is usually reserved for best of any class.
Geek4 and 5 single core has never scored higher aka best in class. 16c records are designated with 16c next to them.
Lol why were they afraid to list the power consumption.
Not at all, depends on the benchmark. Total system draw is between 500-700w on ln2
They would have if there where a world record for most power use.
Also e cores apparently can also be overclocked.
"and 5.3 GHz on the Gracemont cores Efficiency cores (E-cores) "
Actually that would go to thread ripper where I have to use 2x 1250w psus and it hits around 1600w under load on ln2. 5950x can pull some watts as well.

Amazing, I wonder if the motherboard they used, the Z690 Aqua is a limited edition like the previous ones. Such a great board, perhaps Asrock has on the works the OC-Formula models too, I would like to see that too. If not, ey the Z690 Aqua sounds good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.