Intel Core i9-9900K 9th Gen Review

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah, but judging by the preorder numbers I've seen thrown around, it might be for far more people then the cynics seem to suggest.

Oct 23, 2018
I will assembly my new machine middle next year ..... no need for do it now.. my 6600k 6th generation on a rx 470 oc is good enought for my today... i i will go for OBS or even rendering a little bit i will research more.. these prices AMD n Intel not for me now.. n in fact, the are not competitors.. they r partners.. just look into cryptocurrencies mining market n servers at alll.. its a fake competition.. anyway,, ty all,, its a good forum here...

Oct 23, 2018
a must agreed that the i9-9900K price is not that cheap but looks like be a good processor,, anyway, need a water cooler etc .. next year other models etc.... ty.. next year..

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
@ pincher.lala.2014

Bruh, your 6600k will be relevant for several more years as long as it continues to serve its purpose. You might need to upgrade that rx470 in the future. If Nvidia Turing ever gets priced right or if 7nm Vega turns out to be good then either of those would serve as good upgrades.

Oct 23, 2018

YEAH, but my its for my brother, he has a i7 first generation triple channel i guess 1366 ... still works well, hes in a need of upgrade and of course, i will get his mobo ramns n processor to do mining stuff,,,, but just middle next year.. ty

logainofhades

Titan

I haven't seem the numbers of preorders, but given Intel's supply chain woes, there probably isn't many of them available to ship. They are making another chipset, on an older process, as it is, due to that. I don't know if the yields are low, for 14nm, or the demand is just that high, but something isn't quite right.

With shortage of coffee lake chips, I will not be too optimistic about the 9th gen chips.

Well as I've been saying, I pre-ordered the i9-9900k only becausei was excited to have a CPU i purchased the day off its launch. But now knowing it won't ship until weeks later I don't even want it. To much time to sit and think about the terrible price. Now i got the i7-9700K after it released, wishing they would have told us the i9 wasnt available to begin.

It's a shame because the i9 is a good chip, just expensive and unavailable. What kind of things do you plan on doing with the i7-9700k (or the i9-9900k)? Compare some simple benches with r7 2700x you have rn?

Yep, just gaming and gaming comparisons.

*Oh, and I actually have some virtual machines I've been wanting to get up and running; so the Ryzen will be doing that while the 9700K is gaming.

AmX85

Prominent
May 9, 2017
only i saw, is where AMD RYZEN has IPC avantage on SMT does´nt have OC, if you take in account clock speed, new i9 9900K does´nt have higher performance per clock than RYZEN in most of cases

greetings!

That is interesting and believable. I've had my i7-9700K for a couple days now. Funny thing is I don't even feel like installing it haha. I've just listed it on eBay for $509 and it's the cheapest Buy It Now listed. Lots of viewers after only 10 mins.

*Update: My 9700K just sold for $509 + $2.99 shipping (paid $419). I'm simply happy with my 2700X.

Alas, what is often claimed is that *if* Intel clocked it's CPUs approximately 700 MHz lower, AMD would/might essentially tie them. AMD has indeed just about caught up with the non-overclocked 6700K in pure gaming performance ....from 3 years ago....

In most gaming benchmarks, the 7700K's performance, however, still remains out of grasp.

I for one (I had an i7-7700K up until a week or two ago, gave it away to a friend; great gaming CPU) don't like how Intel clocks their CPUs so high at stock. It takes away the fun and enjoyment of self-overclocking. But I see they are doing that to outperform AMD in the stock benchmarks.

Awesome.

agello24

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
if you look at the games they ran. you can clearly see which chip these games are tested on. the i5 8400 is beating the 8 core ryzen. seams familiar? the i9 is not a ground up chip either. more bias bs from reviewers.

Matt_218

Prominent
May 6, 2017
A bit better than a 2700x but wattage is off the charts, they really have to push hard to compete with AMD, ironic.

Nah, they are competing with themselves. i9-9900K 8C/16T @ even lower boost would beat AMD. But it wouldn't beat an i7-8700K or 8086K or 9700K (or even 7700K) at single-threaded performance and gaming. So, they are competing with themselves.

Matt_218

Prominent
May 6, 2017
I donnni man my 2 year old $199 zen scores 1850 on cinebench. Your telling me for 3x the price and 2x the power consumption I can score %20 better? Intel is finished they will never compete for at least another year or two.

frankthetank909

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
I like how he labeled it as the fastest gaming processor currently and then gave it a 4.5/5.0 think maybe when you are dealing with this level of CPU Cost shouldn't be an issue. People buying these CPU's are generally enthusiasts and have the pocket for it. Further High temps can be mitigated by a good LC kit and Power Consumption when overclocking, who tf really cares?>

Multicore cinebench scores mean very little to gamers.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014

Is that why they can't even keep them on the shelves despite going for 20% or more over Intels recommended pricing? Because they're not competitive? Heck, just look at what their respective stock has done recently...you're right, there's no competition, but you have it backwards.

Matt_218

Prominent
May 6, 2017
Hah! If your best retort is ‘but they sell well’ you are basically admitting I’m correct. Logic, use it.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014

Okay. Let's. The 9th Gen Processors are fastest. Fact. They are the most expensive. Fact. Intel's stock is kicking AMD's arse (the latter is down 24%). Fact

Now go look up the word "competitive" and re-evaluate your statement using "logic".

Matt_218

Prominent
May 6, 2017
None of that is correct. AMD beyond a shadow of a doubt has the fastest processors on the market. AMD is out selling intel both last month and this month according to mindfactory and amazon. Since zen was released intels stock has gained about 10% and amds has gained 200%. Logic and reason. Use it.