Intel Core i9-9990XE Reviewed by Puget Systems

mischon123

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
12 chips that do exactly the same within a 20% envelope which, in real world applications, just about levels them. Perceived segmentation. Panic on the titanic?

tricecold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Milliseconds and financial trading??? Is there such a buy and sell a trader does on it's local machine at the moment of buy and sell anyway? Mostly limit orders get uploaded and then executed when conditions are met and even then you are binded by network speed etc.

Then why Adobe test and why only against Intel. What good is an hardware article to it's readers if it is not able to make a proper comparison

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

Yup, network latency is an issue for HFT, so many of them have super-fast connections and lease space as close to the Wall Street servers as they possible can.

We're discussing Adobe tests because, frankly, they are the only ones available (we didn't conduct the testing). Intel isn't going to sample these chips to reviewers.

Also, this system vendor is likely bringing systems to market with these chips (more on that to come), so it's relevant.

dbdarrough

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
The article says, "Given Intel's practice of measuring TDP at base frequencies, the chip will pull far more power when it engages its beastly all-core 5.0 GHz turbo boost. The chips are said to require motherboards that can deliver 420 amps to the socket, and that level of power consumption presents cooling challenges." Yeah, I would think so. I believe you probably meant Watts not Amps!:)

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So another binned/factory overclocked chip sold at high premium. Intel who can't produce enough chips really goes through all options to gain some money, like going through the trash bins for cpu's with defective gpu's and even have the stomach sell that "trash" for the full price.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Just what you want for crypto mining... ;)

... with the most expensive places being within a few feet of the server.

Given the low voltage they're about the same number, and amps does seem correct if you compare to the 9900K:
TDP 95W, peak power ~200W.

If the only benchmark results come from the people who are trying to sell you the product, I'm not sure that can be considered a "review".

To tame the thermal output, Puget Systems says its chips require a Corsair H80i cooler with two fans in a push/pull configuration.
A 120mm AIO cooler for a 255 watt TDP processor boosting 14 cores to 5.0 GHz? Something tells me the processor would throttle like mad under such a setup, and would likely be stuck at its 4.0 base clock with all cores are active for more than a few seconds.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
A 120mm AIO cooler for a 255 watt TDP processor... Something tells me the processor would throttle like mad...
Oh yee of little faith...
Asetek some 15 years ago marketed (one of) their first 12cm radiators as beeing suitable for up to 400W.

What bugs me in the Review is that they didn't use the same, or even similar, cooler for the two CPUs, since they have essentially the same TDP.