News Intel Core Ultra 7 155H Sports 4.8 GHz Boost in Leaked Test

cyrusfox

Distinguished
400 MHZ less than its Raptor lake predecessor (7.7% slower). So if IPC does not increase by 8% it will be slower to equivalent speed at hopefully much lower energy consumption for i7 class. December 14th can't come soon enough.

What is more interesting is how fast can the top end clock as that shows the limits of the fabrication/architecture. There we see a difference of 300 MHz (5.1 GHz on 185H vs 5.4 GHz on the 13900H), that is only a 5.6% clock regression, so as long as the IPC boost as well as the efficiency gains can overcome this, its not that big of a hit.

Look at how slow ice lake was vs Comet Lake-H (4.1GHz on the non-existent i7-1068NG7 vs the 5.3GHz of the i9-10885H), that is a significant 20% regression that IPC alone was not sufficient to overcome, hence why 14nm lived on and neither icelake nor tigerlake made desktop appearances. As meteor lake also does not appear to be coming to desktop, maybe similar issues remain and they are unable to crank the clocks on meteor even with power gates removed, it might just not be capable... Interested to see where arrow lake freq clocks land.