Intel CPU and hot temps?

Crypto6

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
I'm looking to sell my Intel i7 2600 but I want to make sure that my proc isn't going to be defective. Before I pulled the proc from the computer, I would get idling temps anywhere between 60-80 Celsius. The proc was liquid cooled.
My friend took my computer and did a stock CPU cooler on it and although I wasn't around, he told me it reached high temps.

Is it possible that the proc just is defective and runs hot now? Or are processors more categorized as a "it either works or doesn't work". Computer posts and boots into Windows fine- the temps even when idling are concerning. I forgot the maximum temps reached while gaming but it was also high. I have since pulled the proc from the computer and mobo and figured I would ask around before deciding on getting rid of it.

Solution
I'm not entirely sure about the accuracy of temperature readings, but if it never thermal-throttled, it might be ok. You might ease your conscience by putting it up on eBay under "as-is", with a note saying it ran hot but was not unstable.
That CPU will throttle around 100c. Typically, I've seen Sandy Bridge CPUs idle around 25-35c. If you're idling near 80, you're almost certainly throttling under load. The heatspreader is soldered to the die on that CPU, so I can't imagine how it would be defective.

Crypto6

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
I trust that my friend did try a stock heat sink so where there were two heat sinks- one the liquid cooled and the other a stock hear sink, and where apparently it rose to high temps idling on both- is the proc considered defective or what? I don't even know if I should say something about the possible heat issues if I end up selling it as I just am not sure right now what to consider the proc condition. And it could be very well possible that the temps the BIOS and Speccy program were claiming it to be could be off right as temps would be something part of the motherboard? Or I could be completely mistaken.

I'm not entirely sure about the accuracy of temperature readings, but if it never thermal-throttled, it might be ok. You might ease your conscience by putting it up on eBay under "as-is", with a note saying it ran hot but was not unstable.

Solution