Question Intel CPU stuck at 800Mhz

Dec 18, 2019
So I recently re-soldiered my cpu on the motherboard as it was not working, after doing so it was up and running, was using linux live as my HDD was damaged. After buying a new HDD and setting it up I start to realize that my computer is running incredibly slow I can't run more then 2 tabs at once. Before purchasing the HDD I was able to run as many tabs as needed on linux without a problem. Now my CPU is stuck at 800Mhz, I have tried everything updating bios, throttlestop and reinstalling drivers. What could be the reason for this to happen after a new HDD was placed?

Running Intel ETU my temps are fine.

Edit: Also seems as if the guy who repaired the CPU did not place any thermal paste. but CPU temp is at 50c.

Taking a look at core temp it shows TjMax at 105

Last edited:
CPUs don't get soldered on to motherboards anymore. You may be mistaking the process of re-seating the CPU, which involves removing the cooler and CPU and replacing the thermal paste.

What motherboard do you have? Some motherboards have a "Slow" switch that will slow the CPU down to 800MHz.

How can you tell there is no thermal paste?

Dec 18, 2019
CPUs don't get soldered on to motherboards anymore. You may be mistaking the process of re-seating the CPU, which involves removing the cooler and CPU and replacing the thermal paste.

What motherboard do you have? Some motherboards have a "Slow" switch that will slow the CPU down to 800MHz.

How can you tell there is no thermal paste?

Dell Inspiron 3521 is the laptop that I have.

There is no thermal paste on top of the CPU he tells me that there is a little thing on top of the CPU that serves as thermal paste but I was reading other posts and they say that it is not as effective over time.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
Dell Inspiron 3521 is the laptop that I have.

There is no thermal paste on top of the CPU he tells me that there is a little thing on top of the CPU that serves as thermal paste but I was reading other posts and they say that it is not as effective over time.
a laptop that is why is it 800 mhz try running a stress test or something and see if it goes below 800 mhz if it doesn't disable power saving and enable maximum performance in control panel

Dec 18, 2019
Oh, it's a laptop. There's a sub-forum for laptops. They are a whole different setup and, actually do get soldered CPUs.

If I had known it was a laptop I would have not commented on the topic.

Yea I get it but I mean is this section not fine as it is a CPU related issue affected on my laptop, unless tom'shardware is designed around desktop builds. Either way will move the topic.