Intel CPU temps too high with water cooler?

bulletbutter

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
I finally got my intel machine built and I am kinda shocked that my temps are running as high as they are, especially since I have a liquid cooler set up in it. I didn't install any after market thermal paste but I do have a tube of Artic Silver 5 ready to go if I need it.

The water cooler I got had the plastic cover over it with they greyish color of thermal paste so I figured it came pre-installed on it. I've done some research and found out that the temps I am getting are considered "Normal" but I am unsure if it goes for water cooling or stock air cooling. Coming from a similar water cooler with an AMD CPU I remember getting temps in the low-mid teens at idle and never getting over 35C.

Currently my CPU bounces anywhere from 38C - 60C and that is just with me getting all my programs reinstalled and light internet browsing. Are these temps OK or does it seem like I am having an issue?

CPU: i7-7700 Kaby Quad Core 3.6ghz
Water Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52

Solution
first off artic silver 5 is very outdated and doesnt even hold up against most pre applied stuff... which is actually quiet good on quality aio coolers.

as for 7700k temps... unfortunately thats just the way it is with this chip. or at least the obes with poor tim application, which seems to be a lot of them. ive had two and even after upgrading my cooling to a h115i temps still suck under a heavy load. but as for the jumps to 60 while doing light tasks, thats perfectly normal. the 7700k uses an updated speedshift(?) that allows it to clock up and down extremely fast and will do so up to top running frequency.

as long as it stays under 80c the majority of the time you are fine. it just sucks that with solid cooling a lot of us have...

burtman88

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Well first off it's a 7700k Intel did a horrible job with thermal paste between the cpu chip it's self and the heat spreader. So it doesn't disperse heat as well wont be nearly as good as AMD temps or previous years of intels most. If you could get us a full load temp that would help. Also artic silver 5 i can see lowering your temp at least another 5 c compared to the thermal paste it came with. Also what speed are the fans on with the water cooling? 60 c does sound normal under full load for that cpu

what AMD CPU did you have before because low teens to 35C (at load?) sounds way, way to low.

Anyways the Intel temps are normal for all coolers, frankly unless you are doing a custom loop there is little difference between the air cooler or AIO water coolers.

mrobscura

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
first off artic silver 5 is very outdated and doesnt even hold up against most pre applied stuff... which is actually quiet good on quality aio coolers.

as for 7700k temps... unfortunately thats just the way it is with this chip. or at least the obes with poor tim application, which seems to be a lot of them. ive had two and even after upgrading my cooling to a h115i temps still suck under a heavy load. but as for the jumps to 60 while doing light tasks, thats perfectly normal. the 7700k uses an updated speedshift(?) that allows it to clock up and down extremely fast and will do so up to top running frequency.

as long as it stays under 80c the majority of the time you are fine. it just sucks that with solid cooling a lot of us have zero OC headroom.

and you cant really go off temps given in reviews since they often got chips directly from intel so they tend to show much lower temps than people buying actual retail chips are getting.

Solution

bulletbutter

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
Ok thanks everyone for the replies. First time Intel user, very helpful info.

AMD FX-8320 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 3.6 GHz (OC to 4.0 after water cooled). Pretty outdated but it honestly never gave me issues. The stock heatsink/fan gave out before I even considered getting into water cooling.