Question Intel CPUs Cores | P Cores and E Cores

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Simply put is there any way to tell which cores and P Cores and E Cores and is there any way to see how many of each "core type" any CPU has (so if I wanted to check how many P and E cores a i7 7700K has or any other random CPU?

Simply put is there any way to tell which cores and P Cores and E Cores and is there any way to see how many of each "core type" any CPU has (so if I wanted to check how many P and E cores a i7 7700K has or any other random CPU?

I don't think the 7700k has P or E cores. Just cores.

The P and E thing is quite recent, I think starting with the 12000 series. The number and type of cores should be mentioned on the standard specification sheet.

12700 has 8 p and 4 e, for instance.

KyaraM

Admirable
As said above, only Intel chips 12th gen and up have two types of cores. How many is dependent on the model. A 12700K, for example, will always have 8 p-cores and 4 e-cores. So if you want to know that number for any CPU, search for the respective CPU and Dr. Google will tell you within moments how many of which type of cores any given Intel chip has. There are no variations between chips of the same type, so no 12700K with 7 p- and 5 e-cores, for example. You can also try to find the models on Intel's website directly, for example.

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
All that being said however I have a 6 Core i7 8750H however when I check occasionally on HWiNFO or Task Manager it is clear that some of the CPUs cores and being used "more than others" or just taking more of the load???

KyaraM

Admirable
All that being said however I have a 6 Core i7 8750H however when I check occasionally on HWiNFO or Task Manager it is clear that some of the CPUs cores and being used "more than others" or just taking more of the load???
So what? That's normal CPU behavior and got jack to do with types of cores. AMD CPUs aren't any different. Most of the time, especially in games, you don't need all cores, and the game cannot utilize them a lot of the time. Many games still only use 4-6 cores, with one main thread (on the core with the highest load). Again, that's normal.

To find out how many P cores and E cores you have, go to the source.
Google the cpu name plus Intel.
If you can, have a task manager window open while you are gaming or doing work.
You will get a good insight as to how your games or other work are using the cpu.

Select the performance tab and select logical processors on the cpu display.
At the top, you will see the activity on the P cores, and the bottom will be the activity on the E cores.
The E core activity will be low intensity background activity.
There is always something going on there. You can mostly ignore that activity.

You may also see the P cores in two categories.
The primary P core, and the hyper threaded P core next to it.
A hyperthread will use residual components of the main core to do added work.
That thread will not be as effective as the primary thread.
Windows apparently can tell the difference and will not dispatch any work to the hyperthreads until the load demands it.