Discussion intel data center SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamteam

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
hello
is it safe to buy Intel Data Center SSD's on ebay ?
Some vendors retail them for not too much (same price as any other mainstream consumer SSD) and this is what concerns me.

I know that those shipped inside a transparent bag are usually refurbished unitsand the brand new ones usually ship with a plastic blister and sealed paper box.

I am aware of the China mining with SSD's so I won't trust chinese scammers, but I can't tell if other sellers across the world are just buying them from those same Chinese scammers. :screamcat:

There are some professional tools (although not cheap) that can factory reset the SMART logs so this is not a good way to determine whether a SSD is new or used.

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
If the drives are second hand and have been running in a data centre server 24/7/365 for several years, are you concerned about life expectancy?

Data centre drives tend to last longer because they're more likely to be SLC/MLC as opposed to TLC/QLC, but they might have a very high on time.

If they're cheap enough, buy one and run some tests. If they don't come in an ESD bag, regard them as suspect. Professional resellers observe ESD handling precautions. Cowboys don't.

dreamteam

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
If the drives are second hand and have been running in a data centre server 24/7/365 for several years, are you concerned about life expectancy?
No, the desctiption says they are new but as you know ebay is full of scammers and they often sell reburbished things as new in box this is why I ask.

dreamteam

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
If they're cheap enough, buy one and run some tests. If they don't come in an ESD bag, regard them as suspect. Professional resellers observe ESD handling precautions. Cowboys don't.
it's just the opposite, the refurbished ones come in a ESD bag as I have mentioned before.

I started this thread to know if anyone had already purchased off ebay and know for a fact that they are new and unused because they are too cheap to be true

USAFRet

Titan
it's just the opposite, the refurbished ones come in a ESD bag as I have mentioned before.

I started this thread to know if anyone had already purchased off ebay and know for a fact that they are new and unused because they are too cheap to be true
What one person buys from fleabay is not automatically the same as what you might buy.
There are LOTS of sellers, some of them a bit scammy.

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
I realise that Enterprise drives no longer use MLC, but at the time of writing , I had no idea if the drives for sale were 6 years old or 6 months old.

Servethehome.com have some interesting reviews on professional solid state drives.

dreamteam

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
THREAD CLOSED. I
I realise that Enterprise drives no longer use MLC, but at the time of writing , I had no idea if the drives for sale were 6 years old or 6 months old.

there are both, the old ones use MLC-HET but they last pretty much the same as the newer ones with 64-layers TLC

there are other industrial grade SSD that won't last that long for example the S3510 or S3520 in comparison to the others

Status
Not open for further replies.