Intel Demonstrates Arrandale Running Winzip

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
"the newer technology is faster – surprise, surprise"
What? I thought they were going to try and make it slower. That's disappointing.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I thought there was enough news today to warrant skipping the obvious...

Next article: Intels 486 can't handle h.264 decoding.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]WinRAR FTW[/citation]
Why would you use winrar when you have 7-zip, peazip and other totally free great performing arching guis or newer ones like nanozip with amazing compression raitos.

[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]That is like buying a 5870 2gb with the six mini display ports just to play tetris and carmageddon.[/citation]

I can winzip carmageddon finally with my Arrandale chip!

woooo carmageddon

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
While I have not used Winzip in a while, the last time I did use it was to make a self extracting archive. Also, some people just like it, for whatever reason...like my Grandma who also can't let go of AOL's software even though she hasn't had AOL in years.

G

i think you all misunderstood the purpose of WinZip for the demo here. The Arrandale is showcasing here it's new AES-NI instructions which is used in the WinZip with encryption demo. If you use WinzIP or any other program that does some encryption, you will see performance drops.

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
[citation][nom]pbrigido[/nom]ooh ooh! I can answer this. The Intel Developer Forum uses WinZip!!! What did I win???[/citation]

you won brains, that's what

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
LAWL.... somebody buying a system just to play crysis...

That anti-theft capability is pretty sweet. I bet somebody will be anxious to get into the inner workings of that and see if they're able to remotely kill people's computers.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]radiowars[/nom]"the newer technology is faster – surprise, surprise"What? I thought they were going to try and make it slower. That's disappointing.[/citation]

You mean like when they came out with the P4 architecture? YES, it was slower than the P3 architecture.

It does happen.

How about the audience? Was there an audience or the clapping was recorded.
Who in this day and age claps after seeing a file been zipped, WOW, were they getting pay?
Maybe those people never saw a computer before. What a bunch of pansies.

Status
Not open for further replies.