News Intel Demonstrates STT-MRAM for L4 Cache

now lets talk numbers. 2MB does not seem impressive.
BUT its just POC, if they can make it to 300MB+ (like epics L3) and as mentioned 20ns @ 2MB that scales same way as L3 does, now that would be something in my eyes.
its up to them now how generously L4 will be used, and how it affects real live performance.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
now lets talk numbers. 2MB does not seem impressive.
BUT its just POC, if they can make it to 300MB+ (like epics L3) and as mentioned 20ns @ 2MB that scales same way as L3 does, now that would be something in my eyes.
its up to them now how generously L4 will be used, and how it affects real live performance.
It seems to me that the main advantages of MRAM are its size and power. Here, being a semi-passive technology could be a huge win for energy efficiency. Both serve as constraints on scaling cache sizes, using current technology.

It seems to me that the main advantages of MRAM are its size and power. Here, being a semi-passive technology could be a huge win for energy efficiency. Both serve as constraints on scaling cache sizes, using current technology.
thanks, I did not notice power is such an issue in this case, as its constantly refreshed. Then it becomes semi-constant (propably we could idle on half the current power or even lower?). Even more reasons to wait to see real results.
so AMD is becoming king of killing "heavy LOAD"
while INTEL is trying to be good at IDLE.
interesting times indeed.