Intel Developer Forum, Day Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

In our second-day coverage of Intel's Developer Forum, we see Sandy Bridge's graphics engine handle 3D Blu-ray on the PC, AMD's forthcoming Zacate processor in action, SSDs help improve gaming performance, and Boxee shift away from Nvidia's Tegra.

Intel Developer Forum, Day Two : Read more

rwmunchkin12788

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I think the article is right on the money when it says the Sandy Bridge based laptops will be marketed as premium mobile PC's, while the AMD Zacate will be cheaper.

I personally think AMD will win out in the cheap laptop with integrated graphics battle. AMD just has a great chance to put a big dent in this market in their favor.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
It is very sad to see half of the 'local students' trying out the Classmate PCs are overweight or obese. There may be some more fundamental programs these kids need, like healthy living.

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
@azcoyote, based on looking at the rear side of the box, I gather it sits flat, albiet, skewed, but is small enough that fitting it on a shelf won't be a problem. It's just "out of the box," in shape, so to speak. :)

kilthas_th

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
You'll want to take a look at Anandtech's updated notes on the Zacate chip. It appears that the "psychedelic" benchmark wins were due to the OEM driver for the Intel GPU. When updated, they scored basically the same. However, Zacate still trounced it in CoH and also Arkham Asylum.

dowsire

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Speaking of graphics, AMD’s Dave Hoff also alluded to its next-generation graphics, code named Northern Islands. Little actual data was forthcoming, but the magic eight-ball says “sooner than you think.”

What? I thought the new AMD HD 6800s were going to be southern island. Is northern island actually coming out earlier like 1H11 or in the beginning 2H11. The same time that Bulldozer and AM3+ comes out.
2nd why is the "cpu" so important in fusion chips.I think that the AMD version, priced as mainstream, will be better than the sandy bridge. More and more software is being off loaded to the GPU, even MS is making software run from the gpu i.e. internet explorer 9.

[citation][nom]vns[/nom]Good coverage, but is it justified to bring in "zacate" to IDF ?[/citation]

Why not? IDF is not just for Intel. Sure Intel started it and is the main attraction but its for developers everywhere to show stuff off.

I like it that way. Lets Intel and AMD see whats coimng.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
AMD IGP verse Intel IGP will always yield the same results since Intel IGP is crap. Zacate verse Sandy-bridge in anything that involves the GPU will always result the same.

Problem with all IGP's is they use the local system memory. Its already been demonstrated that a GFX cards memory bandwidth is critical to performance, it needs faster access to that data in order to crunch it. DDR-3 may be good and all for general memory access but its no where near fast enough for high performance / high demand graphics processing. All IGP's will be limited to the same performance as what their memory allows, upgrade the system memory to higher bandwidth and suddenly the IGP jumps up in performance too.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]AMD IGP verse Intel IGP will always yield the same results since Intel IGP is crap. Zacate verse Sandy-bridge in anything that involves the GPU will always result the same.[/citation]
Head over to AnnadTech and look at the updated benchmarks, Intel IGP is not that crap, and Sandy Bridge graphics will be twice as good.

G

er I thought the Boxee box was using a ce4100 processor....? as per other sites....including anandtech?

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
AMD made Phenom II to comnpete against core2duo but intel was already shipping i7s by then as the core2 successor.So, AMD priced its new products according to the prices of Core2Duos and Core2Quads and the prices kept getting lower as intel lowered its prices on c2d.

Status
Not open for further replies.