[SOLVED] Intel DH61CR and Xeon's

CRITICALThinker

Distinguished
I recently picked up an Intel DH61CR board for a budget build with an i3 in it, and was looking into upgrading to a used Xeon, the e3-1230 being the obvious choice since the board cannot support 3rd gen processors and the bios update files are no longer being hosted by Intel. That being said there are two problems. Firstly the official support list only lists two supported 32nm processors, the e3-1260L and the 1220L. Secondly the Anemic slab of extruded aluminum that is the I3's stock cooler probably can't handle an 80W tdp part.

Considering I am building this for a friend Is the best option to go with the 1260L or is the 1230 with ~20% extra performance worth risking?

Solution
Here is a list of all supported processors for that board. If the stock cooler you have is the one with a copper slug in the core, then perhaps it can do the job but for what it's worth, if I were you, I wouldn't discount the i3 due to it having an iGPU and the ability to troubleshoot in the event a discrete GPU croaks or is giving you troubles.

Lutfij

Titan
Here is a list of all supported processors for that board. If the stock cooler you have is the one with a copper slug in the core, then perhaps it can do the job but for what it's worth, if I were you, I wouldn't discount the i3 due to it having an iGPU and the ability to troubleshoot in the event a discrete GPU croaks or is giving you troubles.

Solution

CRITICALThinker

Distinguished
Aight, so looks like the 1260L it will be, it has an IGPU anyways. The stock cooler on the 2100 is aluminum only and hits ~50C under the cpuz stress with the 65W TDP. Since I can't risk the 1230 not working I'll go with the 1260L. As far as gpu troubleshooting it can be useful but I have owned no small number of boards and chips without an IGPU so its not a huge stress for me.

Mizuho

Reputable
Jun 1, 2017
Hey there, i was planning to pick up that board for my i5-3570. I don't need to update the Bios right? Because i see the seller saying that it may need a bios update and i was a bit sceptical as i have never updated a bios before. Thx for your reply,