[SOLVED] Intel Disables DirectX 12 Due to Security Flaw

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
Hello

I'm sure everyone knows about this issue.

Its been said that if one DISABLES the Onboard Graphics in the Bios and installs an external PCIe Video Card, this shouldn't affect your security? Was wondering if someone can confirm this?

Thank You

Solution
Thanx for the reply

IGP = Internal Onboard Graphics? Correct?

So then this issue is related to Onboard Graphics? Correct?

Can you confirm I would be 'ok' if I formatted a Dell 9020 W10 Pro using an EXTERNAL PCIe Graphic Card?

Thank You
This is the security bulletin: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00315.html

They list several driver versions you shouldn't use, and it's likely they've already posted an updated driver. You can continue using the IGPU safely as long as you use an updated driver.

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
Thanx for the reply

Can you confirm I would be 'ok' if I formatted a Dell 9020 W10 Pro using an EXTERNAL PCIe Graphic Card?

Thank You

Thanx for the reply

Thank You
Yes, IGP = Internal Onboard Graphics
You can just keep using it with the igpu alone as long as you use the latest driver since that is what intel did, they removed dx12 from the driver so no more problem.
If you don't connect the igpu at all and only use a pcie card that will also work.

Reactions: Coast Guard
Thanx for the reply

Thank You
This is the security bulletin: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00315.html

They list several driver versions you shouldn't use, and it's likely they've already posted an updated driver. You can continue using the IGPU safely as long as you use an updated driver.

Solution

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
You can just keep using it with the igpu alone as long as you use the latest driver since that is what intel did, they removed dx12 from the driver so no more problem.
If you don't connect the igpu at all and only use a pcie card that will also work.

THANK YOU!

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021

Just remembered: How does this affect those who still require Direct X for their software?

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021

Just remembered: How does this affect those who still require Direct X for their software?

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
DirectX up to 11 will still work without issues, it's only the dx12 specific things that will not work anymore if you stay with the igpu only.

Hello again
TerryLaze

"DirectX up to 11 will still work without issues, it's only the dx12 specific things that will not work anymore if you stay with the igpu only" - ok let's see?

But first off I never use onboard graphics - I DISABLE it in the Bios so I can dedicate the power to the PCIe Video Card so I will NOT be using the igpu, I'll be using the PCIe Video Card exclusively. This is where I was hoping things would fall into place? So my next question specifically relates to whatever version of Direct X will be avialable for that PCIe card? (which will probably be an iNvidia). And the software I'm concerned about is 'Magix MEP Plus Video editor' (which REQUIRES AT LEAST Direct X) ... Will the security issue/limitation block/remove Direct X as I was led to believe? Or will it STILL function with the PCIe card allowing version Drect X? Do you happen to know what the outcome could be? Does Nvidia or Intell force you to disable Direct X (because if that secuity issue)? We'll need Direct X for Magix MEP Plus Video editor ..... Sorry for the long question Terry - Hope you can provide some answers - HAPPY NEW YEAR MY FRIEND! ;) And thank you for your patience :sneaky:

If you don't use the IGP and use a discrete GPU then it doesn't matter what Intel did, you will use the DirectX version your dedicated GPU supports.
To summarize, you can use the IGP with the latest driver but without DirectX 12 (all other previous versions available) or you can use a dedicated GPU with whatever DirectX version it supports.

Will the security issue/limitation block/remove Direct X as I was led to believe? Or will it STILL function with the PCIe card allowing version Drect X? Do you happen to know what the outcome could be? Does Nvidia or Intell force you to disable Direct X (because if that secuity issue)?
The short answer is no, this will not remove DirectX nor your ability to use it on that computer. The problem is on the drivers. DirectX is an API that applications used to help talk to the drivers.

Imagine we have a game of telephone, where the sequence is the Application talks to DirectX, which talks to the drivers, which talks to the hardware. For some reason, the drivers are misinterpreting what DirectX is saying, causing issues down the line.

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
If you don't use the IGP and use a discrete GPU then it doesn't matter what Intel did, you will use the DirectX version your dedicated GPU supports.
To summarize, you can use the IGP with the latest driver but without DirectX 12 (all other previous versions available) or you can use a dedicated GPU with whatever DirectX version it supports.
Wonderful Reply - Thank You dotas!

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
Integrated Graphics Processing Unit if we want to be precise. IGP is just a slightly shorter way to initialize it without the Unit.
The short answer is no, this will not remove DirectX nor your ability to use it on that computer. The problem is on the drivers. DirectX is an API that applications used to help talk to the drivers.

Imagine we have a game of telephone, where the sequence is the Application talks to DirectX, which talks to the drivers, which talks to the hardware. For some reason, the drivers are misinterpreting what DirectX is saying, causing issues down the line.
Thank You hotaru.hino !