News Intel Discontinues Several 11th Gen Tiger Lake CPUs

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
They were really nice in their U-variants, quite a bit of a performance uplift vs the 14nm stuff while not too greedy with the juice. The 96EU Xe iGPU also did rather well, considering what iGPUs can do.

Best was their compatibility and the ability to run with pretty much any OS you'd throw at them, none of the E/P core woes that came after.

They were also the first to support hardware control flow integrity with shadow stacks and forward branch control, but unfortuantely the software tools and OS support of CFI wasn' t ready for a long time, still isn't mainstream.

Reactions: bit_user

cyrusfox

Distinguished
I am not a fan of tiger lake, good riddance. I have the i7 u variant 1185g7, stupid thing is always boosting unintelligently, battery life quite poor and performance middling. Honestly I prefer my old 8th gen i5-8350u Lenovo T480. Battery was comparable(it had 2 batteries so probably not as efficient :D) and performance day to day was a tad slower but honestly I never heard the fan and it was a lot more stable. On my 11th gen I have weird issues where USB will stop working until I reboot, as well as a permanent sleep the computer will not wake from without a hard off. I am looking forward to an Alder or Raptor lake replacement in the next 6 months.

It seems like new computers are less stable than old, maybe its a Windows 11 + Corporate spyware issue as on personal machines I don't seem to have the these issues - but on personal machines I also don't upgrade but like once every 5-7 years :), so I don't have as much experience outside the corporate environment.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I am not a fan of tiger lake, good riddance. I have the i7 u variant 1185g7, stupid thing is always boosting unintelligently, battery life quite poor and performance middling.
If you're running Windows, then I'd suggest you explore the power settings. If you don't might sacrificing a bit more performance, then you can extend the battery life a bit. Not only can you bias it towards battery life, but you can also limit the maximum boost.

My current work laptop is a Dell Precision with a i5-1250P, and I've not been much impressed with its battery life, either. Even with Windows Power Settings configured to favor battery life and the screen brightness set rather low, simple web browsing seems to drain it faster than I'd expect.

FWIW, it's still running Windows 10.

It seems like new computers are less stable than old, maybe its a Windows 11 + Corporate spyware issue
Yes, this matches my experience.