News Intel Drops Xe LP Graphics Specs: Tiger Lake GPU Has 2x Speeds

It's going to be very interesting to see how Tiger Lake Xe LP stacks up to AMD's Renoir in the coming months. I suspect Renoir will maintain a CPU cores advantage, and a modest lead on GPU performance, but if Intel can do what it's claiming, this will easily be the most compelling Intel GPU ever. Fingers crossed

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
AMD Renoir will surely have a core count advantage since Tiger Lake is pretty much confirmed to cap out at 4c/8t. Graphic wise, we should see a good improvement with Xe graphics. However I feel if the performance is close to the enhanced Vega 8, then there is not much of an incentive for people to consider a Tiger Lake based laptop over a Renoir base laptop.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU
It will probably be a premium part, pushing Iris to mid-tier... Exact and real-world performance has yet to be seen though. As pointed out, paper specs don't tell the whole story unless comparing the exact same architecture. (but, even then...)

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
However I feel if the performance is close to the enhanced Vega 8, then there is not much of an incentive for people to consider a Tiger Lake based laptop over a Renoir base laptop.

The reason to go with Intel is because the OEM's will produce a wider variety of models including more premium models than they will for AMD. So you're more likely to find a model that exactly fits your needs.

The reason to go with Intel is because the OEM's will produce a wider variety of models including more premium models than they will for AMD. So you're more likely to find a model that exactly fits your needs.
Sad but true. There are very few Renoir laptops available right now, compared to Intel models. I would love a great 15-inch with an IPS 2.5K display, not 4K or 1080p. The LG Gram 17-inch is probably as close as I can find to my ideal specs, outside of the CPU and GPU. One of those with Renoir 8-core (Ryzen 7 or 9) would be awesome, but then price would probably be in the $1,500 range as well, which is more than I want to spend.