Question Intel Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V Problems

Seviade

Commendable
Aug 2, 2020
Hey,

Recently i've started noticing that i've had slow download speeds.

I should have 16MBps download speed everywhere. (I did test on other devices too, every device worked fine.)

But for some reason, i can't get to run above 3-4MBps on my PC.

Some important info :
MOBO : MSI Z590-A PRO
I already tried reinstalling drivers like 5 times, nothing helped.
Speed is not always consistent, sometimes i can get up to 8MBps, but after i can't get up to 2MBps.
I'm using speedtest.net for testing speeds.

Edit : Forget to mention, everything worked fine, until yesterday, didn't update/install anything, it just happened.

Hey,

Recently i've started noticing that i've had slow download speeds.

I should have 16MBps download speed everywhere. (I did test on other devices too, every device worked fine.)

But for some reason, i can't get to run above 3-4MBps on my PC.

Some important info :
MOBO : MSI Z590-A PRO
I already tried reinstalling drivers like 5 times, nothing helped.
Speed is not always consistent, sometimes i can get up to 8MBps, but after i can't get up to 2MBps.
I'm using speedtest.net for testing speeds.

Edit : Forget to mention, everything worked fine, until yesterday, didn't update/install anything, it just happened.
Try to download this, uninstall the lan driver, unplug ethernet, install the driver, and reboot.

Seviade

Commendable
Aug 2, 2020
Try to download this, uninstall the lan driver, unplug ethernet, install the driver, and reboot.
Didn't work, still getting slow speeds, altough i'm getting 8-9MBps (Sometimes), instead of 3-4MBps, still not getting the speed that i should have.

Also i found Cable test in Intel PROSet App, after test it says that cable has bad detection at 225 meters, which is not true since my cable isn't that long.

It would be strange that it would even attempt to test that long since 100 meters is the limit. Are you sure it was not 225 feet.

In any case it can be a bad cable. Many cables being sold today are fakes to begin with. You see a lot of people using that flat cable that has wire far to thin to be a certified cable. The thin wire would also trick any testing stuff to think the cable was longer.
Any cable can fail but the fake cable tends to have more issues.

If you look at the status on the ethernet does it show 1gbit or 100mbps connection speed.

Is it only downloads. What does a test on a speedtest site show. Speedtest is actually a file download and upload it is just not kept. The key difference between speedtest and other downloads is it appears as browser traffic which many download programs do not.

Seviade

Commendable
Aug 2, 2020
It would be strange that it would even attempt to test that long since 100 meters is the limit. Are you sure it was not 225 feet.

In any case it can be a bad cable. Many cables being sold today are fakes to begin with. You see a lot of people using that flat cable that has wire far to thin to be a certified cable. The thin wire would also trick any testing stuff to think the cable was longer.
Any cable can fail but the fake cable tends to have more issues.

If you look at the status on the ethernet does it show 1gbit or 100mbps connection speed.

Is it only downloads. What does a test on a speedtest site show. Speedtest is actually a file download and upload it is just not kept. The key difference between speedtest and other downloads is it appears as browser traffic which many download programs do not.
Only download is slowed down, i'm trying to boot from Ubuntu and try it from there to see if it happens there.

Also if i look at the ethernet from the PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility from Intel, it says that the Adapter is 1,00Gbps Full Duplex, although i should have 2.5Gbps port.

The 2.5 gigabit stuff has a history of being very unstable. Intel actually manufactured a bunch of chips in 2020 that had a flaw they could not fix completely with drivers and the motherboard makers pretty much covered this up rather than recall and replace all the defective motherboards.

They also have been lots and lots of bugs in the drivers but it has gotten much better. The only issue you see very commonly is microsoft update will sometime load older generic drivers over the top of the latest ones you get from intel.

If you see gigabit speeds that is correct. You will never see 2.5g unless your router/switch also has 2.5g ports. Kinda the same thing as if you had a very old router that only has 100mbit ports the speed would drop to match.

So you say when you test with speedtest you get about 100mbps. Note speedtest is in mbits and download is in MBytes.

Generally if speedtest works you do not have a actual network issue. It is going to be something application related. A ubuntu boot will eliminate any OS issue so it is a valid test but it does not help to find what garbage in windows is causing it.

What you want to look for is software that is treating browser traffic different from download traffic. A very common one is any kind of so called "gamer" qos or network priority software. This crap is bundled with many motherboards and video cards.
A very common name is CFOSspeed. Look to see if anything like that is running. It can be anything that restricts traffic if you for example have some kind of firewall rules.

TRENDING THREADS