Intel Expected to Drop SSD Prices in August

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashabane

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]zzz_b[/nom]I want to see $0.25/GB prices for these SSD's. I still have to wait a while[/citation]I got my Crucial M4 for ~$1/GB and absolutely love it. I think they're well worth the price at this point and if they get to $0.25/GB any time soon, I'm going to have to snatch another up for some sweet RAID action.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I recently purchased a 240GB SSD520 for $320 with a $100 MIR, but it probably still would've been worth it to wait since these upcoming drives will be nearly the same price and will probably provide hardware revisions for the AES 256bit bug.

neoverdugo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
I will not take a look until ALL SSDs are at an equal price range as the typical HDDs. 50 bucks price drop on 300 GB? Screw that! I want an 240-320GB SSD at 100 dollars, that's an 80% price drop.

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Crucial M4 512gb cost me $350 on new egg a few weeks ago. I already had a 240gb ssd that I got on sale for $330 last year, but I wanted to put all my games on one SSD as well as have enough room for my Adobe products. True, the prices aren't at the same level as HDDs but since HDDs might not go down for a while, SSDs were a good investment for me.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]rapidcolor[/nom]I have moved my entire company, www.rapidcolor.com, to SSD's [/citation]

Good job working a plug in there!

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]neoverdugo[/nom]I will not take a look until ALL SSDs are at an equal price range as the typical HDDs. 50 bucks price drop on 300 GB? Screw that! I want an 240-320GB SSD at 100 dollars, that's an 80% price drop.[/citation]

How is that VHS player treating you?

Sure, if you don't mind commercials, why pay for Netflix?

My time is valuable. Is yours?

I would love lower prices, but a low end SSD made my crappy 6 year old computer fun again... In fact, it made it fun like it had never been before. And more than fun, it made it USEFUL. Can't beat that. Saved money on an upgrade and my valuable time to boot...

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
i bought a samsung 830 ssd 128 gb for less than $1/gb. that was my very first desktop ssd drive. it blew me away so much that i ordered a 2nd one.

boot time is crazy fast. app launch time is near instant. heat and noise are not existent. it's so quiet, i was able to watch a movie and actually hear all the sound from the movie not the fans from my pc!

i plan to buy more samsung 830 to retrofit my aging i7 sb notebook next. :p

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]neoverdugo[/nom]I will not take a look until ALL SSDs are at an equal price range as the typical HDDs. 50 bucks price drop on 300 GB? Screw that! I want an 240-320GB SSD at 100 dollars, that's an 80% price drop.[/citation]

Right on, go ahead and stick with your slow hard drive.

You want speed? You have to pay a price. Though not even four 15K RPM hard drives can match an old SSD model. You'd need a lot more in RAID0 to even come close to a new SSD model.

Bricktop

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Samsung and Toshiba just released their intention to delay production enhancements that would increase the supply of NAND until the demand increases. I imagine they don't want to get stuck in the tiny profit margins RAM is currently experiencing. If demand increases and supply stays steady, that will put a halt on SSD price reductions. Even Micron, who is paying the bare minimum for it's components, will increase prices if demand allows the company to do so.

I'm guessing prices will start to rise around Christmas time. If you are in the market for an SSD, I would buy it before then.

Bricktop

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]I recently purchased a 240GB SSD520 for $320 with a $100 MIR, but it probably still would've been worth it to wait since these upcoming drives will be nearly the same price and will probably provide hardware revisions for the AES 256bit bug.[/citation]

I'm not sure HW revisions will come out, since it still maintains 128-bit encryption. Sandforce is readying a brand new controller with new and improved features, including support for the new ONFI 3.0 and Toggle DDR 2.0 NAND that should reach SSDs in the near future. I don't think Sandforce is going to fix a controller that is nearing the end of production. I could be wrong though.

Also, I don't think there are many people with a legitimate need for AES-256 that would have bought the 520. Those users generally have the budget for enterprise level drives that are accredited with proper utilization of the encryption standards and tamper-evident packaging. The only consumer SSD that I'm aware of that has been evaluated and certified to meet any security and encryption standards is the Samsung 470. Good luck finding one though.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]teodoreh[/nom]It's XMas on summer!!![/citation]
Don't you know that it is currently winter in some parts of the world? And that those same parts always have Christmas in summer?

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Right on, go ahead and stick with your slow hard drive. You want speed? You have to pay a price. Though not even four 15K RPM hard drives can match an old SSD model. You'd need a lot more in RAID0 to even come close to a new SSD model.[/citation]
I'd say 4 15k drives could definitely outperform a SSD in terms of sequential reads/writes. And fast sequential reads/writes are all you really need for a good scratch disk. Then again, it would probably cost a lot more than a single high-end SSD, but you would also get far more storage capacity as a tradeoff. Even at these reduced prices, SSD's aren't always the best answer like many believe, especially for those who need high-capacity in addition to performance.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Bricktop[/nom]I'm not sure HW revisions will come out, since it still maintains 128-bit encryption. Sandforce is readying a brand new controller with new and improved features, including support for the new ONFI 3.0 and Toggle DDR 2.0 NAND that should reach SSDs in the near future. I don't think Sandforce is going to fix a controller that is nearing the end of production. I could be wrong though.[/citation]

According to Anand they are working on a revision of the SF-2281 controller with proper 256-bit support. But I agree with you, it isn't a feature many users actually need.

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
ugh. intel's 60GB drives are still the same price as Crucial's 128GB M4s. i don't know why anyone would even buy Intels lower capacity SSDs when you can get twice the capacity and almost the same reliability with M4s for the same price. stupid. maybe im missing something that Intel SSDs have that others don't, idk. if i am please do tell me what i'm missing because i love Intel and their SSD pricings are bothering me.

Status
Not open for further replies.