[SOLVED] Intel Extreme Utility showing "max core frequency -3.8 GHz"

Mar 22, 2021
Hi guys! so I have this PC for some months now but I recently discovered that the app named INTEL XTU(intel extreme utility) shows that my frequency is negative, I also noticed some frame drops in games like Rust and GTA 5.

https://ibb.co/Wtb3TTt

this is a screenshot.

thanks in advance!

Solution
You are treading in OC territory with XMP.

On two of my comps, XMP does not kick the ram voltage up to spec and I had to do it manually, it is definitely needed.

Look at the last number in the XMP sequence (it'll be something like 1.35), that should be ram voltage. you'll probably need to set that manually.

Still have instability?
Things don't always run as fast as advertised. Corsair is known to lie about their high end Ram speeds and not warranty them when called on it. Other mfgr's may as well.

If you don't want to get in a pissing match with a RAM mfgr, slow it down where it says ram frequency. Shouldn't take more than a step or 3. Once you can run AIDA64 stress test on the memory and it performs, take it down 1 more click...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi guys! so I have this PC for some months now but I recently discovered that the app named INTEL XTU(intel extreme utility) shows that my frequency is negative, I also noticed some frame drops in games like Rust and GTA 5.

https://ibb.co/Wtb3TTt

this is a screenshot.

thanks in advance!
3.8 is correct until the turbo boost kicks in.
Download and run OCCT and watch the speed kick up.

Also as above if the memory you have is rated for higher than 2133 enable XMP profile.

Edit for frame drops everybody gets them it not a problem unless their a big number.

Mar 22, 2021
3.8 is correct until the turbo boost kicks in.
Download and run OCCT and watch the speed kick up.

Also as above if the memory you have is rated for higher than 2133 enable XMP profile.

Edit for frame drops everybody gets them it not a problem unless their a big number.
thanks for the reply! i will enable it, did it in the past.

I also got a reboot from time to time and I get a "boot failed" screen.. weird. it happends rarely but maybe it's related..

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
You are treading in OC territory with XMP.

On two of my comps, XMP does not kick the ram voltage up to spec and I had to do it manually, it is definitely needed.

Look at the last number in the XMP sequence (it'll be something like 1.35), that should be ram voltage. you'll probably need to set that manually.

Still have instability?
Things don't always run as fast as advertised. Corsair is known to lie about their high end Ram speeds and not warranty them when called on it. Other mfgr's may as well.

If you don't want to get in a pissing match with a RAM mfgr, slow it down where it says ram frequency. Shouldn't take more than a step or 3. Once you can run AIDA64 stress test on the memory and it performs, take it down 1 more click so you aren't on the bleeding edge.

Good luck.

Solution