Intel Flashes Tablet Concept; Plenty More Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I know there are pros and cons to having a full operating system but I really hope they don't gimp this batch of products with a phone type OS like Apple did.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Its on, the VIA, AMD, Intel fight that has been raging for decades. VIA with its soft hitter that can stay on for hours. Intel with its 1-2 punch and can almost go the limit. And AMD with the fastest chip in this segment who is gasping for air soon after starting. Who will be victorious?
My money is on AMD because they have a better video procesor. Lets be honest who is going to buy one of these for reading and editing text? You can game with an AMD chipset.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
At the very least, allow buyers the opportunity to install whatever OS they want the same way PCs do.
If I buy a ready made PC with Windows from HP I can happily install Linux, older versions of Windows or even (thanks to Psystar) put OSX on it.
Same applies to tablets, by all means supply it with WebOS, Android, whatever - so long as I can attach it to an external optical drive or a PC and install a new one.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
it seems like Apple is getting a sizeable lead in the tablet segment for mass market consumers with the iPad
An obvious marketing misinformation from Tom's. The last time I checked, Lenovo and HP lead the tablet industry.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
"what people want – multitasking." A lot of emphasis on Multitasking an area Apple cannot compete with as effectively with ARM.

cobra_comm@nder

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
It continues to amaze me how people are expecting these tablets to be something they're not. They are not meant to be power computing devices, run high-end graphics, etc... They are for media consumption. That's it. Plus, they're meant to bring it to people who haven't a clue how any technology works which is about 99% of the world.

djtronika

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
multitasking is coming with OS 4.0 for iPhone, iPod, iPad

also, the reason tablets haven't succeeded is because what all of you keep talking about. jamming a full blown OS into a tablet will fail. it just doesn't work.

call it a phone OS, call it a big iPod touch... the iPad succeeded because it does exactly what it is meant for.

im actually very excited for this as I would love something less Apple and more Windows so i dont have to keep remoting into my machine at work to use true multitasking and office apps. competition good. fanboys bad. trolls even worse.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]gilbertfh[/nom]I know there are pros and cons to having a full operating system but I really hope they don't gimp this batch of products with a phone type OS like Apple did.[/citation]

Have to disagree on two fronts.

1. When you try to run a full operating system such as Windows 7 or OS X you either give up battery life or you give up performance. You can't have both. When you go with a streamlined OS designed for mobile devices you give up the functionality of a 'complete' OS but you gain battery life and you gain performance.

2. The 'full' operating systems you speak of were designed around keyboard and mouse input. Microsoft threw on some touch features but that doesn't help usability all that much. The OS is still designed from the ground up for keyboard and mouse input.

Until battery tech gets exponentially better and Microsoft/Apple start designing tablet operating systems from the ground up for tablet use I think Apple's idea of using a mobile OS is the best implementation.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]djtronika[/nom]jamming a full blown OS into a tablet will fail. it just doesn't work. call it a phone OS, call it a big iPod touch... the iPad succeeded because it does exactly what it is meant for.[/citation]
I don't understand why a full blown OS does not work in the Tablets world? Could you elaborate? And what is the iPad meant for?

NivenFres

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]cobra_comm@nder[/nom]It continues to amaze me how people are expecting these tablets to be something they're not. They are not meant to be power computing devices, run high-end graphics, etc... They are for media consumption. That's it. Plus, they're meant to bring it to people who haven't a clue how any technology works which is about 99% of the world.[/citation]

Same is true about netbooks, they keep cramming more and more into them to the point they really do just become small notebooks.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Well if you develop a "tablet" like iPad a few months later, of course it's (hopefully) going to be a better than "first generation" (iPad). Then again, I don't like Apple...

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I hope this Intel based tablets to be good so they stay in the market making pressure, even improving what the iPad has done for the mass market. I have work with a Mac that I like so I am not saying this because I love one side and hate the other. Either way the iPad is not for everyone but competition is good for everybody. For one product to succeed other products don't have to crash or be irrelevant. In this respect more is better.

G

Apple is not leading tablet sales, though they did get a good start. Part of that was the media blitz, which Tom's participated in. 7-9 Apple articles per hour, beginning months before the ipad came out. Is Tom's going to do that for Intel?

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Holy CRAP! That guy has a black shirt (turtle neck?), black jacket, AND a black HAT!! Steve really needs to pick up his game if his wardrobe is supposed to compete with this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS