Intel Forms Netbook and Tablet Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

verbalizer

Distinguished
IDK, there motherboards are crap in desktop units so what's going to make this better.
Yes, Intel processors i5 and i7 and soon SB are quality stuff but there motherboards are crap...

[citation][nom]malmental[/nom]IDK, there motherboards are crap in desktop units ...[/citation]
Disagree. They are mostly good, solid, stable designs without a lot of the frills in the BIOS (overclocking) that many of us here want.

The vast majority of computer users just wants something that works. They don't want to mess with memory timing or clock skew settings.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
The problem Intel faces is not from tablets, but from smartphones. The ARM spec is getting lots of attention, and it is only a matter of time before it arrives into a notebook or desktop. Intel was able to overtake the computer market starting with the humble desktop, and build from there to be in servers and super computers. Now the story can happen again, and Intel is aware of that.

More technically, Intel has to be honest with itself and drop old tech from its chips. Hyperthreading, branching and other trick built for single core chips are obsolete (IMO) in the era of multi-core computing. And it is hard to drop tech after putting billions in R&D. ARM, and Nvidia"s GPU architecture look streamlined, straightforward, and easier to scale.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
[citation][nom]malmental[/nom]IDK, there motherboards are crap in desktop units so what's going to make this better. Yes, Intel processors i5 and i7 and soon SB are quality stuff but there motherboards are crap...[/citation]
I am currently typing from a computer with an Intel motherboard that is working perfectly for four years.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I wish someone would make a bluetooth/wifi multitouch LCD/LED monitorabout 8-12" you can wireless connect to a full fledged PC.

Like a bluetooth/wifi 8-12" Wacom graphic tablet w/LCD screen basically would be perfect of course it would need to be reasonably priced as well sub $150.

Status
Not open for further replies.