Intel graphics 4000 for gaming?

BionicSloth

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Hi I have Intel graphics 4000 as a graphics card and 2gb of RAM on my laptop. The gaming is really slow. Do I need more RAM or is the GPU just bad. If none are the option what can I do to speed up the gaming on it?

-BionicSloth

Neospiral

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
On a laptop, there's not much you can really do to get better gaming performance, sadly. If your laptop already had discreet graphics in addition to the Intel 4000, sometimes if you're really good at tinkering inside a laptop and you find a GPU that fits the exact form factor that's inside the computer, you can replace the GPU, but probably not if the laptop is not built to handle discreet graphics at all. :(

wilgoz

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
2Gb is not enough for modern gaming and Intel HD 4000 is terrible sorry to say :(
My tips for you (desktop only though): whenever you upgrade to a more powerful gpu, the gpu will use up more power and thus you will need a better PSU.
The real answer is: Sadly you can't just take out the hardwares of your laptop and throw in a new one. Upgrades are only available for desktops not for laptops. You CAN add in more RAM depending on your laptop but NOT the GPU, CPU or anything on the motherboard. Buy a better laptop or build a budget PC :)

Neospiral

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013

There are quite a few laptops that are fantastic for gaming actually, just not the OP's. Unfortunately, that laptop was not built in any way for gaming, and it's not upgradable.

Hi, The HD Graphics 4000 will accelerate video playback and enable you to watch HD video content smoothly. Most Flash-based games will also run fine on integrated graphics which only start to struggle when faced with more complex 3D-modelled environments. Sorry there is nothing you could do to speed up games.

I don't know about fantastic, but some laptops can game reasonably well. We don't want the OP disappointed when he realizes no laptop performs like a good gaming desktop.

Neospiral

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013

Haha well, no laptop is fantastic compared to a fantastic desktop of course, but there are laptops made by several commercial builders specifically for gaming, and they run games pretty darn well for what they are :)

wilgoz

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013

Not to mention theres a really good laptop that is pretty cheap for what it is.. a lenovo Y500
that laptop have an optional SLI config for the GT750M which is SWEET and could play modern games from high to the max settings at 1080p

Given the fact that Intel never really bothered developing an integrated graphics core capable of playing games until they released the HD 3000 in the Sandy Bridge generation Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs, the Intel HD 4000 is a huge step up from the old GMA 4500 graphics core.

Having said that, the Intel HD 4000 is slower a little slower than a desktop Radeon HD 5570 graphics card and it is about equal to AMD integrated Radeon HD 7540D graphics core in their Trinity APU.

The best thing to do is to add another stick of RAM; either 2GB or 4GB for a total of 4GB or 6GB. More RAM means more resources available for Windows and games. Win 7 itself needs around 1 GB of RAM just for the operating system. Games usually use between 700MB and 1.4GB of RAM. For example, Skyrim uses about 800MB of RAM and I think GTA 4 uses around 1.4GB of RAM. The Intel HD 4000 also uses the system RAM too. Not sure how much RAM the HD 4000 can make use of; I assume somewhere between 64MB and 256MB. Having only 2GB of RAM means Win 7 / 8, the game and the Intel HD 4000 are all fighting for the limited RAM.

Adding a 2nd stick of RAM also boost performance a little bit because that means the RAM is operating in dual channel mode. Basically data can transfer twice as fast in the RAM itself. This will probably boost performance by another 10%, maybe as high as 15% in some rare cases.