Intel Guru Predicts a 3D Internet in Five Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
He says 5 years I say more like 15 to 20 years. We need a lot more bandwidth, power/efficiency and a clear, polished or mature interface that presents a natural functionality to every user. Even in hundreds of years of constant use we still read better in synthetic graphics than in complex and realistic 3D environments. And some languages may find a natural functionality in some environments that may not be replaced ever. Really, I don't see it happening as a real 3D and not because of limited technology but because it needs to be well implemented on a second level behind a graphic structure. Take into consideration the virtual desktop. Why don't we have a real 3D desktop today?

G

It's VRML all over again.

Sorry, but for the most part 3D web pages are just not going to work. There might be cases such as video conferencing etc. where 3D will be useful- but not for basic navigation. Who would want to run through a maze or some other stupid 3D construct to get to what they want, when they could have just simply clicked on a button instead? That would get old very quickly...

If anything the biggest game changer is going to be WebGL and the other HTML5 features- which will enable much more advanced graphics, effects and interactions in web pages. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of stuff can be done with HTML5.

kr33py

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
YouTube etc..in 3d would be cool and certain other sites,but i really don't want to be opening up webpages to see big 3d advertisements popping out the screen while I'm trying to read :/.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I think the 3D Internet is quite possible in 5 years, but most likely will not happen in USA, but in place like Japan, S.Korea, China or even East Europe. As other comments have notice the biggest obstacle would be the bandwidth required. With current ISP cartel the USA will continue to slip down in broadband rankings.
Currently all cable companies are investing in some kind of 3D cable system. They control most of the broadband market in USA. You think they will allow 3D YouTube. LOL

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Intel guru says 3d internet in 5 years... I say 3d is a fad and will be dead in 5 years unless we come up with actual 3d projection monitors like those in star wars.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I think they should concentrate on actually making the internet work. I live in a big city and have a major ISP for my home service, and a major ISP for my company service, and neither of them are reliable. We pay extra for high speed at my company and my normal home service is usually significantly faster. And neither service is reliable. We have frequent outages, too many to rely on the internet for telephone service like some people have.

jestern

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Anyone else tired of the 3D craze/propaganda/hype/idiocy/ludicrousness yet? Its bad enough in movies and television, but now the internet as well?

I suppose Generation-Y has to have something big and new (Even though its not big and definately *not* new) to define itself.

Another take: 3D my ass, where is my flying car, my holographic display and my 5 petabyte storage device?? This is 2010 dammit!

office_dude

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I predict that there will be holograms like star trek, in the next 100 years. I know in the future there will be a 3d internet. In 5 years, I don't think so... and if there is it won't be in the avarage consumer hands, maybe 10 years.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
LMAO
Maybe in 5000GB/s Redmond CA but not in the rest of USA where you have a daily struggle to get Skype to be audible and Yahoo messenger constantly drops out on a 6MB/s Cable or Adsl line if you are lucky enough to get such a huge internet.

The avg I got in the USA was equivalent of deep dark Africa 500miles from a big city internet QOS lag , packet loss ect.

Just because you have normal 25MB/s Adsl in Siberia Russia for the last 8 years or 50MB/s Adsl in UK "virgin internet" does not mean there is internet faster than smoke signals or stable enough to TWEET on in the USA in the 39 states I have traveled through in 5 months.

Yup tested this on local Internet Cafe's Or new Asus Win7 laptop "ati5730 i7-720" / Win Xp laptop / Iphone / linux live cd on this hardware.

Intel dream on maybe by the year 2090 in the USA.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Tell me what are they smoking in Intel / Redmond / San Jose CA.

Is it a daily trip to the beach to catch some now legal weed and dream of ways to torture their customers or dream up stupid ideas like this.

If Intel stated 3D internet in 10 days in China sure they can clean the air for the olympics so this is easy but no one has the power or spine to fix the USA's internal monopoly anything / internet monopoly.

It's "animal farm USA" every day.

AZ is trying to block me from creating 5000 jobs for the last 6 years as well as the coal mine 280y supply Montana, Nevada Minerals mine, 2sq miles Solar farm Tucson AZ, Wine Farm AZ, Weak nat-gas to power Ohio, ect ect. few small things so why not block this 3D internet.
What is US$120M tax pa. from 1 small order for AZ they don't want that big or small income from a loyal blue eyed whit haired foreigner.

Best of luck with basic slow 512KB/s internet never mind 3D 25MB/s minm. internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.