Intel Has Android ICS Running on Smartphones, Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I had been under the impression that the power/performance for the arm architechture is factors of 10 above the x86 architechure because it is much newer from the ground up. I don't understand how an x86 architecture could compete. Heck, my iphone 4s graphics are better than most onboard chip desktop graphics, and the new tegra 3 graphics chip is aparently even better. Anyhow, it will be interesting to see how this pans out especially since all mobile OS are made with an ARM architecture in mind.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]Intel Processor running Android, ARM Processors running Windows 8.The world had turned upside down.[/citation]

more like an orgy party.

I am actually excited that means Intel's solution is efficient enough to meet the phone market. However, i wonder how it would compare when it comes media acceleration and games in comparison to Tegra 3.

n-dru

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
And the title is relevant... how?

More like "Intel Tries to get Android ICS Running on Smartphones, Tablets"...

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I think the competition will be great to see, but I for one plan to avoid Atom powered phones and tablets. I'm hoping (though I know it's not likely) that AMD will build and ARM version of their Fusion processors. Now that would make a killer device.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]leeashton[/nom]Arm will NEVER be more powerful than x86 not just the power of X86 but the instruction set ALONE will mean ARM will never be more powerful than x86[/citation]
Trying to compare X86 to Arm instruction sets in relation to speed is like trying to compare Pearl to C in relation to speed. They are completely different languages. Yes they can both achieve the same things, but each has their own strength's and weaknesses.

leeashton

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Trying to compare X86 to Arm instruction sets in relation to speed is like trying to compare Pearl to C in relation to speed. They are completely different languages. Yes they can both achieve the same things, but each has their own strength's and weaknesses.[/citation]
actually you are wrong ARM has a shorter instruction set, there are things that an X86 can do alot faster than ARM, there is NOTHING ARM can do faster than X86!
The instruction set of ARM is Reduced extra steps are required to do something an X86 can do with shorter instruction, I know I program in both and X86 is FAR more efficient than ARM.

leeashton

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Trying to compare X86 to Arm instruction sets in relation to speed is like trying to compare Pearl to C in relation to speed. They are completely different languages. Yes they can both achieve the same things, but each has their own strength's and weaknesses.[/citation]
how did you quote something is DID NOT SAY

Status
Not open for further replies.