Intel: Haswell Provides 50% More Battery Life in Notebooks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
This is going to help tablet and ultrabook users greatly. Once again us desktop users are left in the cold with crap 10% performance upgrades. Three effin years later and my 4.4Ghz OC'd Gulftown 32nm i7-980x is still extremely close in performance to the 49xx Ivybridge-E (15-20%) and when my Gulftown system is 4 years old we will be seeing Haswell-E which will STILLLL be a pointless upgrade (25-30%[unless they finally gives us 8c/16t). While it's nice the 1000 I spent on the cpu will keep me near the top of the pack for 4 years, where are the consumer 8 core/16 thread cpu's? I expected them in Ivy-Bridge-E. What a let down. Haswell-E better damn well have 8c/16t in its i7-5960x and make the lower budget i7-5930k 6c/12t, this should have been done this year. Shame on you Intel.

rdc85

Honorable
frankly, I'm more concern on battery lifetime (power consumption) when working than when idle, u can lower the consumption on idle but it will not effect much...

InvalidError

Titan

Personally, I have no interest in seeing 120-150W CPUs like the dual-core Prescott P4s return to the desktop mainstream.

The unfortunate reality for people who want performance to continue doubling every few years...
- all the easy performance enhancement tricks have been tapped out so IPC is unlikely to get much better than it already is - at least not without adding so much complexity that it may hurt attainable clock rates and core die area
- practical clock rates have hit a brick wall - going faster would require deeper pipelining but as Intel discovered with Netburst, this does not necessarily yield higher throughput due to higher execution latency but does waste tons of power
- lots of mainstream software has little to no useful uses for threads
- the vast majority of people still don't even need quad-core CPUs for their everyday personal computing

So there isn't anything exciting to be expected on the mainstream side (other than better power-efficiency and further integration) in the foreseeable future.

For the extreme segment, you can simply get a single-socket Xeon since that's practically what the extreme i7 is. Priced about the same too. The main downside is lack of overclocking but overclocking is overrated in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.