[SOLVED] Intel HD vs graphic cards

Nov 28, 2020
Hi there,

I'm sorry if my question or english or both is stupid.

I would like to ask you, if is it better to use Intel HD integrated graphic in CPUs or use of graphic cards.
My GC died last week and I got good old GTS450 from a friend of mine. I would like to know if is better to use only Pentium G4400 or plug in the GTS450. I have 16 GB RAM if it matters.

Thanks for NOT shaming this dyno age components. I don't need to play latest games or do some minning.

Thanks for your answers!

If you have integrated graphics and don't use pc for gaming, then there's not much use for discrete graphics card.
Only if you want to connect more monitors to your pc.
This is not true in this case. The g4400 has a gt 510 integrated graphics unit which has performance specs 1/2 that of the gts450. The gts450 will help in everything, not just gaming:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/hd-graphics-510.c2784
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gts-450.c1778

GPU performance doesn't matter. Web browsing and office productivity doesn't care about gpu performance. PC is not used for gaming.
What's the use for discrete graphics then. Explain please.
If you have a weak CPU, using the integrated GPU can slow it down more. A GPU will not help with desktop/browser performance, unless the CPU is being stressed out already. By taking the GPU load off the CPU, you can free up some resources, including some RAM, so that the CPU can run faster for CPU only tasks. This has no effect if your CPU is powerful or modern enough to handle all these regular tasks, but it could help if you have a weaker, older CPU.

Nov 28, 2020
Hi!
Thanks for all your comments!

The main purpose of this PC is as you already told for web browsing, music and easy going "gaming" which can be played at every today calculator. I'm talking about old legends like Morrowind and WoW (Lich king) which I need for relaxing :).
But now due the covid situation I brought home software from my work, so I can work from home. This software is Calypso from Zeiss and is used for programming measuring CMMs, so it works with CAD models which need some graphics performance.

I did some testing which shows me that use of gts450 is essential for my needs.

Thanks for helping me with that!!

The main purpose of this PC is as you already told for web browsing, music and easy going "gaming" which can be played at every today calculator. I'm talking about old legends like Morrowind and WoW (Lich king) which I need for relaxing :).
In your original post you said, you don't need to play games.
Now - you need to play "easy going" games. While Morrowind and WoW do not require high end gpus, they still require considerable gpu performance.
Integrated gpu will not be up to those requirements. Ryzen G series cpus (R5 2400G/3400G) would handle that but not Intel iGPU solutions.

Nov 28, 2020
In your original post you said, you don't need to play games.
Now - you need to play "easy going" games. While Morrowind and WoW do not require high end gpus, they still require considerable gpu performance.
Integrated gpu will not be up to those requirements. Ryzen G series cpus (R5 2400G/3400G) would handle that but not Intel iGPU solutions.

You are absolutely right. I underestimate it, because a was able to run these on even much more crapy hardware. My fault.

GPU performance doesn't matter. Web browsing and office productivity doesn't care about gpu performance. PC is not used for gaming.
What's the use for discrete graphics then. Explain please.
A GPU replaces the graphics unit in the CPU and generally are much faster at rendering pixels, period--doesn't matter what the display is showing. Back in the day, every graphics adapter was discrete because you could choose exactly what you needed for the application. (And everything was discrete--storage, video, ports--nothing was integrated). All the integrated stuff is for convenience, not performance.

If you have a weak CPU, using the integrated GPU can slow it down more. A GPU will not help with desktop/browser performance, unless the CPU is being stressed out already. By taking the GPU load off the CPU, you can free up some resources, including some RAM, so that the CPU can run faster for CPU only tasks. This has no effect if your CPU is powerful or modern enough to handle all these regular tasks, but it could help if you have a weaker, older CPU.
This is not correct either. I regularly put gpus on my older lga775 systems with integrated graphics and the high res pdf files pop up a lot quicker. In fact an older lga775 system with a gpu can render these pdfs as fast as a next generation lga1155 system with integrated graphics. And this is because the discrete gpu can push out many times more pixels than the integrated one even in a newer generation.