Intel i5 5200U VS AMD A10 7400P for video editing?

Solution
Your link says "i5-4210U" --- I point that out because there is a good bit of difference between it and the 5200U.

I think either would be fine for your purposes. I would prefer the AMD but the Intel build has a touchscreen (not a big fan of Dell touchscreens, though). Also -- the last Dell laptop I worked on had an easy access HDD bay on the bottom which made switching to a SSD really simple --- not sure about the Asus but I'm sure you can look it up.

Vegas tends to like AMD GPU Compute, and the Kaveri APU should be good at it in a 'minor league' kind of way. The Turbo on the AMD rig is much higher but it also pulls twice the watts.

The Intel build has 1080p --- the AMD is 720p (not sure that makes a difference to you).

BTW --...
Your link says "i5-4210U" --- I point that out because there is a good bit of difference between it and the 5200U.

I think either would be fine for your purposes. I would prefer the AMD but the Intel build has a touchscreen (not a big fan of Dell touchscreens, though). Also -- the last Dell laptop I worked on had an easy access HDD bay on the bottom which made switching to a SSD really simple --- not sure about the Asus but I'm sure you can look it up.

Vegas tends to like AMD GPU Compute, and the Kaveri APU should be good at it in a 'minor league' kind of way. The Turbo on the AMD rig is much higher but it also pulls twice the watts.

The Intel build has 1080p --- the AMD is 720p (not sure that makes a difference to you).

BTW -- The Asus AMD is available at The Egg for $443. For another $100 you may add a Samsung 240GB SSD (with cloning software) and a Vantec USB2 external enclosure

Solution

soldier5637

Distinguished
May 7, 2013
The i5 5200U. Im typing on my laptop that has that right now actually. The i5 consumes far less power, important for a laptop. 15W vs 35W. Smaller lithography, the i5 will run cooler and more efficient than the AMD. Speeds and capabilities dont mean much when the CPU is thermal throttling itself in games. Out of experience, the HD 5500 GPU of Intels CPU is pretty impressive. I can run Tombraider well on low, world of tanks well on medium, I can actually get 30 FPS steadily in Star Wars Battlefront on low. Really is impressive. AMD has higher clocks, but still weaker cores than Intel. for example, the AMD FX-6300 in my desktop is at 4.5 GHz, but almost any i5 at say 3.1 GHz will beat it by a long shot. Everything to intels architecture to manufacturing tech is better and remains true in this case.