Intel i5 6400K VS AMD FX 8350 CPU's

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PapaShand

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
Hi there,

i have had a dilemma as I bought a 9590 and didn't realise the short supply, not to forget expense in parts, I am looking to buy one of these two but I want to know which is best for me...

I will 80% of the time be Gaming but, I will also use for the odd research and quite often for Homework as I'm still a Student, what should i get?

Solution
There is no 6400k, its just 6400 its not overclockable.

Note gaming benchmarks here where its equal to or faster than the 8350:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/core-i5-6400-cpu-review/7/

And the best part. If you want more performance, you're a BIOS update and CPU purchase away from an i7-7700k which is the best gaming CPU. With the 8350 there is NO upgrade path.

PapaShand

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
I forgot, what are the opinions on PSU's? I am getting the Corsair Case shown and was wondering what I should do, get a Corsair PSU Gold + Certified or stick with EVGA at a little more pricey, what's my best option? Also, I've just finished my choices, any suggestions apart form the PSU debate? P.S. Should I be opting for the Asus Prime B250M-A or the B250M-K? I'm only gonna use 16 GB of RAM but are there other benefits to the B250M-A or just the capacity of RAM? Thanks! :)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/PapaShand/saved/QvzGXL

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

The M-A has 2 more ram slots, an HDMI port (that you don't need because you have a GPU), an extra M.2 socket, a USB type C port, and its physically a little bigger. Personally i would go for that you never know when you may need more room and kick yourself for not spending $10 more.

The Corsair CSM is an OK PSU, IMO the EVGA G2 series is better quality, made by Superflower which is the best in the business aside from Seasonic.