[SOLVED] Intel i5-8400: Will My Components Be Compatible With It?

Ya_SG

Prominent
Jun 11, 2019
These are the components I’m going to have my taste on:
Processor: Intel Core i5-8400 BX80684I58400 (I chose the Core i3-8100 previously, but later I opted for this one)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 3000Mhz
Motherboard: Gigabyte H310M-H
Graphics Card: MSI Computer GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

Will they be compatible with each other? And will they be enough for intense gaming? I’m getting them from online, so I am scared a tad bit. I want to confirm it thrice before I purchase them.

Solution
As per your consultation, I’m going to get a new one and shove it in my Corsair SPEC-5. Don’t want it to be too sumptuous. I may have mentioned that I use it for intense gaming, but I usually don’t.
PSU: "Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 600W 230V UK Retail Power Supply"
This might not be an expensive one but should definitely be better than the previous one. As much I know, PSUs work with any motherboards and fit in most of the cabinets. So I don’t have to dig whether it’s compatible or not, but it would still be appreciated if you confirm this.
Being brutally honest, usually you get what you pay for with the price on PSUs.

The MasterWatt Lite certainly is BETTER than the VS series, but can't really say how much better (it won't...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes they are compatible. I would go for 2x8GB RAM however, as 8GB will limit you in some modern games and single channel will half your bandwidth.
It will be good for pretty good gaming.

Just remember you haven't stipulated storage (an SSD is basically a must nowadays), or stipulated a PSU. You always want a good quality PSU that can fulfill all power and safety requirements.

Reactions: Ya_SG

Ya_SG

Prominent
Jun 11, 2019
Yes they are compatible. I would go for 2x8GB RAM however, as 8GB will limit you in some modern games and single channel will half your bandwidth.
It will be good for pretty good gaming.

Just remember you haven't stipulated storage (an SSD is basically a must nowadays), or stipulated a PSU. You always want a good quality PSU that can fulfill all power and safety requirements.

Yes, I already have them, so I didn’t mention them in the thread.
Kingston SSDNow A400 240GB Solid State Drive
and an HDD
Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB Internal Hard Drive.
PSU
: Corsair VS450 450-Watt Power Supply

Is the power supply enough or should I get a new one?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes, I already have them, so I didn’t mention them in the thread.
Kingston SSDNow A400 240GB Solid State Drive
and an HDD
Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB Internal Hard Drive.
PSU
: Corsair VS450 450-Watt Power Supply

Is the power supply enough or should I get a new one?
Technically it is enough, and it will run that rig, however the VS series are a low quality line. I have had a lot of experience with the VS line and have advised about them on multiple threads here on the forums.
It will run, but I would replace it as soon as you can with a good quality - non-budget line - PSU.

The VS are great for budget line, but they are just that - budget - which means they often skrimp on the quality of the most important parts to bring costs down, and I would only really use them if you are desperately on a budget and physically cannot afford better. The VS line is not the most reliable at protecting itself or other components should it fail.

Ya_SG

Prominent
Jun 11, 2019
Technically it is enough, and it will run that rig, however the VS series are a low quality line. I have had a lot of experience with the VS line and have advised about them on multiple threads here on the forums.
It will run, but I would replace it as soon as you can with a good quality - non-budget line - PSU.

The VS are great for budget line, but they are just that - budget - which means they often skrimp on the quality of the most important parts to bring costs down, and I would only really use them if you are desperately on a budget and physically cannot afford better. The VS line is not the most reliable at protecting itself or other components should it fail.

As per your consultation, I’m going to get a new one and shove it in my Corsair SPEC-5. Don’t want it to be too sumptuous. I may have mentioned that I use it for intense gaming, but I usually don’t.
This might not be an expensive one but should definitely be better than the previous one. As much I know, PSUs work with any motherboards and fit in most of the cabinets. So I don’t have to dig whether it’s compatible or not, but it would still be appreciated if you confirm this.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Being brutally honest, usually you get what you pay for with the price on PSUs.

The MasterWatt Lite certainly is BETTER than the VS series, but can't really say how much better (it won't be much). Because by most standards, it is around a Tier 4 / Tier 5 PSU, the VS is arguably Tier 5/ Tier 6.

Realistically if you're serious, most enthusiasts aim for at least Tier 3 and up. But as i said, you won't really go higher than this without increasing the PSU budget - but you're right, from the looks of it, it certainly is better, but I won't lull anyone into a false sense of security in saying that it is a great quality unit, because it isn't. You only get that going Tier 2 up really.

Yes the PSUs will be cross compatible just depending on the ATX specification. Everything is standardised, if you have a full ATX case and MB, then any ATX PSU will fit.
Obviously there are different sizes of ATX, but this is to do with physically how your MB and PSU fits into the chassis itself, not how the PSU fits to the MB, as they're standardised in ATX.

Last edited:
Solution