Intel i5 8600K won't go above 4.3 Ghz

May 18, 2018
Hi,

I am having problems overclocking. If I manually overclock to 4.7 Ghz (Air Cooler), Prime 95 is stable, although I cannot benchmark using 3DMark or play games, because they will crash. I have brought down the multiplier to 4.4 Ghz and I am still having the same issues.

However, when I use the Enhanced Turbo feature, and bring all cores up to 4.3 Ghz (Max Turbo), everything works.

Am I doing something wrong in the BIOS or could it be my graphics card that is causing the problem, because it's pretty outdated?

Also, I have the same problem if I enable XMP. Any tips for this? Games will crash if I set anything above 2133 Mhz.

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel i5 8600k
RAM: 16 GB Gskill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz
Motherboard: MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 760 DC2OC 2GB
PSU: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold Certified

MSI Click BIOS 5 Settings:
OC Explore Mode: Expert
CPU Ratio: 47
CPU Ratio Mode: Fixed Mode
CPU Ratio Offset When Running AVX: -3
CPU Core Voltage: 1.320
CPU SA Voltage: 1.200
CPU IO Voltage: 1.200
DRAM Voltage: 1.360
CPU Loadline Calibration Control: Mode 4
Intel C-State: Disabled

Solution
What I know from Asus is if you use these board manufacturer OCing this quite often allows to apply max LLC which might cause bad voltage peaks on your CPU and can even damage it, thus not recommendable.

7664stefan

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
What is the VCore you see under default settings/clock rates? I would suggest to target 4,5Ghz but to start with a stable OC of 4,3Ghz on all cores.
For which frequency did you apply the above voltages? I assume 1,32V for 4,7 might be too low, but be careful with this.

Okay, that should be okay for a 4.7GHZ overclock and the vcore you are using also seems more than fine.

I would start at a 4.5GHZ overclock with your current settings and then do a run of Prime95 version 26.6 and check temps. If you are in the 50's to 60's degrees C, then move to 4.6GHZ and do the same again. At this point if it is stable, lower the vcore in super small increments to see where you get for a safe 4.6GHz overclock at the lowest vcore. Finally see what happens at 4.7GHz and then try 1.325v... Personally you should be able to stabalise at around 1.3v but sometimes you dont win the CPU lottery and it requires a bit more on the vcore.

You are safe upto 1.35v though others do take it all the way to 1.4...not for me though.

May 18, 2018

With these settings I could run Prime95 for 30 minutes on 4.7 Ghz. This only thing I cannot do is play games or use for example 3DMark (it crashes a couple of seconds into the first GPU test). If I bring down the frequency to 4.4, obviously it went through Prime95, but I still couldn't play games or benchmark with 3DMark, they would just crash.

May 18, 2018

I am currently not home, but I will let you know what it says at the Vcore setting. I can use Enhanced Turbo to get 4.3 Ghz on all 6 cores. The moment I overclock manually, it doesn't work.

7664stefan

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
What I know from Asus is if you use these board manufacturer OCing this quite often allows to apply max LLC which might cause bad voltage peaks on your CPU and can even damage it, thus not recommendable.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS