Question Intel I5-9400 and Crucial Ballistic ddr 3000??

zbs60

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
HI All

I bought some crucial ballistic memory on black friday. Ive put off building a computer. Its Crucial Ballistix pc4-2400, 3000mcs. It seems like the preferred speed to run the 9400 is 2666. Would the 9400 still operate at the optimum speed with this memory?

Not unless you use a Z370 (May need a BIOS update to support that processor) or Z390 motherboard. All other supported chipset boards will support only DDR4-2666mhz as the fastest possible speed.

For that CPU, it's unlikely that the difference in speed between 2666 and 3000mhz would be noticeably appreciable anyhow. But if you are inclined to go with a Z series board and the price of the memory kits is similar or even only slightly higher, I don't see why you wouldn't either.

Jun 4, 2019
HI All

I bought some crucial ballistic memory on black friday. Ive put off building a computer. Its Crucial Ballistix pc4-2400, 3000mcs. It seems like the preferred speed to run the 9400 is 2666. Would the 9400 still operate at the optimum speed with this memory?
what it means is your brand memory is ddr 3000 but your intel cpu say it likes bus bandwith ddr2666hz intel specs.So it when you install the ram it will be ddr2666 and set bios xmp to 3000.But wiil be unstable in a memory dump and data curruption.

what it means is your brand memory is ddr 3000 but your intel cpu say it likes bus bandwith ddr2666hz intel specs.So it when you install the ram it will be ddr2666 and set bios xmp to 3000.But wiil be unstable in a memory dump and data curruption.

No. This is completely wrong. You don't seem to understand how this works. If the CPU only supports a certain memory speed, then that is ALL it can be run at, PERIOD, UNLESS you use an unlocked board or a board that supports higher memory speeds due to having an unlocked architecture that allows you to overclock the memory.

If you install this CPU and memory on a motherboard with a lower end or business class chipset that does not allow memory overclocking, you will NOT be able to "set bios xmp to 3000". End of story.

zbs60

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
HI DB

If i did purchase a 370 or 390 motherboard, then will i be able to set the memory speed to 2666?

Would i be better off buying a Amd processor with this memory?

thanks

You can set the memory to 2666mhz on ANY board that supports that CPU. With a Z390 board you could POTENTIALLY set the memory speed to it's XMP profile of 3000mhz or whatever speed the memory is advertised to run at but I wouldn't try anything past 3000mhz since that CPU is not overclockable on ANY motherboard, and a CPU overclock may be likely needed to run at speeds higher than 3000mhz in order to wake up the internal memory controller.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the extra price of a Z series board for THAT processor, just to run at the higher memory speed however there are no lower chipsets that FOR SURE support that Coffee lake refresh processor out of the box without potentially needing a BIOS update so if you want guaranteed compatibility then Z390 is unfortunately the only chipset which is guaranteed to not need a BIOS update just to use that CPU.

If you get a B360 or H370 board, be sure to verify that it DOES in fact already have a BIOS version that supports the 9th gen Coffee lake refresh CPUs before purchasing otherwise you'd need an 8th gen CPU in order to get the BIOS updated.

Last edited: