[SOLVED] Intel i7 10700k HOT and not running "Idle" at all ?

Nov 8, 2021
There are so many posts about the Intel i7 10700k that I am starting to believe its a bit of a dud chip! ARGH
I'm running a Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Pro AX Motherboard, Latest firmware (F21b) on Windows 11, Corsair 32gb 3200mhz RGB Ram, NZXT Kraken X53, 6 iCue RGB Fans, and Corsair 465x case. Yeah I went a bit OTT with the RGB... this is about to change however, as tomorrow I am replacing the AIO with a Noctua NH-D15 > Which I had in my old PC And why oh why did I think "Oh, Watercooling will be better" how wrong I was!

CPU "Idles" at 50 degrees C. This can't be right, however under full load it only hits 77 so the AIO must be doing something! However, it also never ever "drops" to 800mhz, the lowest I've seen it go to is 4.3ghz. I've also never seen a single core hit 5.1ghz...

Power settings are "Balanced" with the minimum CPU set to 10%
AIO Pump is set to run "performance" or Maximum pump. Liquid is apparently around 40 degrees C... Hence I am swapping over the cooler tomorrow and launching the Kraken to the nearest bin. Water cooling my @rse.

I'm running Windows 11, latest build, its not a hacked version, got a TPM chip and everything (salt with my chips please) the biggest concern is the AIO radiator taking up most of the front panel blocking the fans from pushing cool air into the GPU, therefore the GPU has hit at times 80 degrees (and VRAM apparently hitting a peak of 99 at times, according to HWInfo!)

I'm out of ideas. The Noctua fan will help but I'll lose the Kraken RGB (Not that the RGB effects on that heatsink are pretty...) and the software for it is for the best part SH1T!

I'm happy to go through changes on the BIOS, I'm pretty tech savvy but this has me beaten, Google has come up with various threads including on here, so erm... help!

Whoever gets me sorted can have a single shiba coin :D

Just done a check. 5% CPU usage, at 4.53ghz, CPU at 43 degrees, GPU at 51 degrees, Liquid 34 degrees and Pump at 2371RPM. that's terrible!

Solution
  1. Those temperatures you have posted are nothing to worry about.
  2. Max speed for the pump will not do any good - too fast would be worse. Will enlarge temperature spread between cpu and coolant.
  3. To reduce heat, I would try undervoltong it a little. Like I posted here.
  4. I would mount the WC radiator fans to exhaust air.
  1. Those temperatures you have posted are nothing to worry about.
  2. Max speed for the pump will not do any good - too fast would be worse. Will enlarge temperature spread between cpu and coolant.
  3. To reduce heat, I would try undervoltong it a little. Like I posted here.
  4. I would mount the WC radiator fans to exhaust air.

Solution
CPU "Idles" at 50 degrees C. This can't be right, however under full load it only hits 77 so the AIO must be doing something! However, it also never ever "drops" to 800mhz, the lowest I've seen it go to is 4.3ghz. I've also never seen a single core hit 5.1ghz...

I'm happy to go through changes on the BIOS, I'm pretty tech savvy but this has me beaten, Google has come up with various threads including on here, so erm... help!
You will have to find this page and set the CPU base clock to what you want it to clock down to.
With enhanced Multi-Core at auto it might not take because it might override it.

210103010622_575px.jpg

Speedshift should clock down your CPU when under light load, it should be enabled
Turbo boost technology should also be enabled so it's not always as full clocks.
210103010634_575px.jpg

Nov 8, 2021
You will have to find this page and set the CPU base clock to what you want it to clock down to.
With enhanced Multi-Core at auto it might not take because it might override it.

210103010622_575px.jpg

Speedshift should clock down your CPU when under light load, it should be enabled
Turbo boost technology should also be enabled so it's not always as full clocks.
210103010634_575px.jpg

So Enhanced Multicore is disabled already (did this already) And the base clock is still 100mhz. Speedshift is already enabled, and Turbo Boost was on Auto, so I've changed that to Enabled. see if that changes the boost!

Still warm though which is a downer. Still not sure why its not "slowing down" when idle. Weird!

TRENDING THREADS