Intel i7 4790K Unstable with Turbo Boost Enabled

RaviSun3D

Honorable
Jun 7, 2015
Hello,

Today I was testing my New CPU with Latest Version of Prime95. I ran the Blend Torture test, and within 10mins the Computer Restarted. Then I set the Torture Test to Small FFTs, and as soon as I clicked OK, PC restarted again. (All Motherboard settings were Factory Default)

Then I went into BIOS and disabled Intel Turbo Boost, and ran Small FFTs Test again. Now it is completely stable with temperature up to 77-81c at full load.

Now I have 2 Questions.
1. Is this temperature normal at full load with Hyper 212x cooler? (at idle, it is 35-40c)
2. What can I do to make CPU stable with Turbo Boost enabled?

My Setup:
Intel Core i7 4790K
Gigabyte Z97x-UD5h-BK
Cooler Master Hyper 212x Cooler
HyperX Fury 16GB 1866mHz RAM
Corsair CS750M PSU

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If the i7 is OC'ed you need to always disable Turbo so that it doesn't spike the clock speed higer than your settings.
If it isn't OC'ed, then there is something wrong with the system that needs attention. It may be the tier 3 PSU. That model is made by Great Wall, and uses lower quality components than the better Corsairs.

RaviSun3D

Honorable
Jun 7, 2015

It isn't Overclocked.

I tried my old Cooler Master Silent Pro 620M, still same problem if Turbo Boost is enabled. Runs without any problems is if Turbo is disabled. So PSU is not a problem I guess.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Oh wait! You said you were running the "latest" version of Prime 95. That's the problem. Haswells can't handle the new code in the later versions. Never run any version of Prime95 above 26.6 with a Haswell. Try again with ver. 26.6 and your temps will be back to normal and your restarts should end.

TRENDING THREADS