Intel i7-5960X with Asrock X99 Extreme3 not working

NanoSuit3

Honorable
Jun 1, 2017
Okay, so last night my rig out of nowhere just froze on me after I was starting to play Destiny 2 and I just checked it for problems the day before. I upgraded my cpu from an i7-5820K to an i7-5960X to just feel like having one of the X-Cores in my system for the extra power. Only to discover that it turned out to be notworking every so often. My specs for the Rig is from Outer to Inner:

Corsair Graphite White 600T Customized
AsRock X99 Extreme3
Intel i7-5820K Upgraded to the 5960X
16Gb of Mushkin Blackline
2 EVGA GTX 1080 running in SLI
1.76 TB of storage combined with 3 drives in one.

So my question is to the Community is: What is wrong with my System?

Oct 30, 2018
did you overclock your cp u at all? Also just make sure it isn't something simple like just coming slightly out of place.. I m not sure about this, but you said it stops every so often? If that is the case it may be over heating or there might not be a good enough psu. If one of this is the case, you will have to have someone else help.oh and last thing about it you overclocked it try changing it back or adding another fan, and of course the truth may also be it's completely broken now.

Edit: if I understand correctly, your Mobo (which thecpu is in) is next to or under your psu, and I don't know what the ps u looks !ike or how it's mounted but make sure the heat that comes off of it isn't going towards your cp u part of the Mobo of the Mobo at all.

NanoSuit3

Honorable
Jun 1, 2017
Actually I forgot to say that after I ran D2 it froze and then I powered it back up and it never booted but there was only a blank screen, no Asrock Logo, nothing. The PC ran for a few seconds and then shuts off. Also a red light emits a couple times but thats something I've noticed. But one time the Keyboard, Mouse and Controller lit up once only a one point but the Display wasn't showing and the PC kept running and running and never turned off. Idk what I did but I'd wish the solution I did solved it but too bad for the Display not working otherwise I'd be more happier. The PSU is also a Corsair RM 850X. Forgot to mention that in the Thread too . . .

Oct 30, 2018

I'm not that smart unfortunately.. Sorry I probably can't help much more but maybe your Mobo is dead? Not sure if this can cause it and haven't researched your Mobo at all but if the Mobo doesn't support Oc. A d you did it may break as well as if it doesn't support the chip at all. May also be failing ram since you said it ran for a short time. Also just realized you said it kept running but no di splay or anything is maybe the video cords or some cp u cords, basically what I'm saying is ch e k if everything is plugged in and working. If you can't find a so!union through anything iv said I'd recommend taking it all apart and testing key components and/or taking it a!l apart and immediately put it back together and pay close attention to evrrything . If that doesn't resolve it i would return broken parts if that's the case of take it to a local pc shop

Oct 30, 2018
Oh and re read everything again.. Last thing I can think of for trouble shooting is take out the i7 5960 and put back in the i7 5820k (or any other cpu you have)
If it works you at least know it is a issue with the cp u being wrongly installed or damaged.

NanoSuit3

Honorable
Jun 1, 2017
Right . . . Well, it worked with the 5820K but I have no idea what was wrong with it after running it. I mean, it worked fine after installing it for a while but after play a game like D2, it just froze the PC and that's it. I do have to mention kinda again that every time I rebooted it, there would be a red light that would be on during posts but wouldn't do it actually boots up. The PC would turn on, then the screen would show a blank for a bit then it would turn off after a few seconds or a minute.

NanoSuit3

Honorable
Jun 1, 2017
Apparently to the surprise it has been what 5-6 years since I've posted in part of this and I'm back to ask again of you enthusiasts what the problem may be. So, few years ago I had the same exact rig get an upgrade to it and I'm very much up to speed with a lot of things now. With that said let me fill everyone else in with a possible Rig update:
This rig is an experimental Rig that uses either the ROG X99 Gaming Mobo or ROG Rampage V E10 with the either 5820K, 5960x or 6850K with 2 different RAM kits of 2133 Mhz and 2666 Mhz. The PSU I use are either The 850 Watt Corsair or a newer 1300 Watt EVGA Gold+ PSU. The problem is as it says I wanna get the 5960X working as I wanna just use it for its sheer 8c / 16t power yet I now notice that I'm either getting Error Q-Codes 95 and even 6F or 6D which make no sense. Mind you I even did a BIOS Flash as well and the 5960X still won't boot. Any ideas? Also The other 2 CPUs work fine but the 5960X doesn't. Still Any ideas as it's been 5-6 years? Also I'm running either SLI 1080s or a 2080 Ti

You got a bad CPU, and if I'd been reading this forum more at the time you originally posted I'd have told you the same thing. X99 doesn't have compatibility problems so if your system works with other CPUs and the CPU you're trying is supported and not working it's the CPU.

Reactions: NanoSuit3
That would be true what it worked when I ran it under Safe Mode as well. Does that say something to you or could that be irrelevant actually?
The CPU is definitely still bad and unfortunately with that intermittent and changing nature I can't even begin to guess what went wrong with it. You could take a look at the contact pads on the CPU, but unless there's an obvious discoloration or something there won't be anything you can do.

During the X99 generation Asus motherboards had this tendency to pump a ton of voltage through the CPU and I never saw anyone narrow down consistent specifics on when it happened (though some was certainly the auto-OC). That's why I've avoided all Asus X99 boards period so this could be what happened to the chip in the first place.

Reactions: NanoSuit3