[SOLVED] Intel i7 7700 base clock is reduced to 3.5GHZ when activating XMP 2.0 on Asrock Taichi Z270

Paul Frank

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
This is my specs:

• Intel i7 7700
    Asrock Taichi Z270
    RAM 2x8GB 3000Mhz DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z RGB
    SSD WD Green 240GB
    Windows 10 Pro 1809 (idk but its detected like Enterprise Edition)
    AMD RX 580 8GB - Sapphire Nitro+
I need help with my Intel i7 7700 non K, Asrock taichi Z270 and G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHZ.
I recently bought that motherboard, I was using a ASUS Prime H110M-P and the max clock i reach with Intel I7 7700 was 4.2GHZ. But now with my new mobo the CPU only reach 4.00GHz on default. Also, I having issues to correctly use my new RAM G.Skill, cause when i activate XMP 2.0 the system detects the frequency but the CPU get locked at 3.5GHz. :/
Psdt: when i set the RAM to 2933MHz, CPU frequency reachs 4.0GHz

Solution
Max turbo is usually only a couple of cores and across all cores is a bit lower.

Run cpuz benchmark, apparently thats a single core benchmarker as well, see what that gives ya.

Well if there was something holding back the default 7700 turbo speed it'll be a setting in the bios. Power performance or core syncing could try fiddle with. Windows power plans could have an affect as well.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Have you tried overclocking the cpu to 4.2? Usually you can actually go 200-400 mhz above max turbo on a locked processor on a z series board. Also if you haven't already done so I'd fresh install Windows could be some old chipset driver issues causing bugs

Paul Frank

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015

The frequency that you mencioned its refered to blck frequency? cause i have null experience with overclock. if is it, when i actived the XMP the BLCK frequency was set to 102.... And yes i did a fresh install of Windows 10.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Usually the multiplier is unlocked to a certain point in the bios. You should be able to change it to whatever you want up to at least 44. Unless that particular board is just a fun sponge. It's also possible you could just do math and set the bclk to whatever value gives your 4200-4400 mhz

Paul Frank

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015

but if the multiplier exceed 100 in BLCK my processor get locked in 3.5GHz maybe i have to tweak some settings that i don't know :/

Paul Frank

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015

thanks for replying and sorry for that downvote i was trying to reply from a iphone XD, well i'll have to upgrade to a K series, but the turbo boost how works? its only per single core?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Max turbo is usually only a couple of cores and across all cores is a bit lower.

Run cpuz benchmark, apparently thats a single core benchmarker as well, see what that gives ya.

Well if there was something holding back the default 7700 turbo speed it'll be a setting in the bios. Power performance or core syncing could try fiddle with. Windows power plans could have an affect as well.

Solution