Question Intel i7-7700k @ 4.20 high temperatures?

May 20, 2022
Intel i7-7700k @ 4.20

I'm finding with just 5-6 chrome tabs open often times the fan will kick into overdrive (and have had the system freeze up on me at least once). When I check CPU usage during these times, its at 100%.

Downloaded SpeedFan and the only readings during these high times are:

GPUS @ 49C
Core0, Core1, Core2 will all stay < 70C
Temp3 will spike to upwards of 90-93C

The system has a GeForce GTX 1080 video card. Drivers are up to date.

I've searched for Malware and can't seem to find any issues.

From a bit of searching these forums -- is it possible the fan/cooling I have in this system that came stock is severely lacking? Anything else it might be?

May 20, 2022
only happened when you have chrome open?
test with turning off all extension?

clean the cooler?

I've turned off most/all extensions and it will be the same issue -- but oddly enough sometimes it doesn't happen at all. 15 minutes ago I could open up 15 tabs of espn.com and it would load them all without too much issue (temp3 would go to 88C or so, but the system wouldnt slow down and the fans wouldnt go into overdrive).

But just tried it now and just 10 tabs of espn.com kicks it to 90C+ and the fan kicks in to overdrive and the system bogs down.

My initial thought based on when I was seeing it happening was that it was something with the video card -- but ive updated the drivers and that does not seem to be making an impact.

May 20, 2022
Temp3 idles at 45C, GPU at ~50C

SSD - 256GB with 90GB free
HD - 2TB with ~1TB free
RAM: 48 gigs (max this motherboard allows officially)

HP OMEN 870-290 desktop

D

Deleted member 362816

Take into consideration the 7700K was not a soldered IHS. Many people delided these and added liquid metal just to gain decent temps.

Certainly one cores being 25C higher in temps is not normal, but, should not in itself cause assorted lockups or freezes... (Might want to shutdown and remove power, remove heat sink, clean thermal compound fro CPU's IHS and from bottom of sink, and reapply a pea sized amount to center of IHS, and carefully retighten/reattach sink.)

You said this is some sort of HP pre-built system?

Was a GTX1080 added, or original to system?

Possibly the PSU might be inadequate w/ the GX1080. (If that were the case, the rig should run fine without it running from integrated graphics, hypothetically, as long as onboard graphics is not disabled and mainboard VGA drivers are installed...)
EDIT: for heaven's sake, IF you do change PSU, do NOT mix/match modular cables between PSUs!

May 20, 2022
I dont believe you 'k' model cpu came with a cooler, so what one is on it?
I would re-do the thermal paste, and go from there

Added thermal paste, still having issues. So next step is to install some cooling? I've read the case setup for this machine doesn't leave a whole heck of a lot of room, so am I likely looking for a new case as well?

With the i7-7700k CPU... is it considered "slow" now? If I'm replacing case and adding cooling am I better off looking to upgrade the cpu/motherboard as well?