Intel i7 7700k Underperformance after upgrade from i7 6700k

ChromaMods

Commendable
Oct 23, 2016
Hello, fellow computer enthusiasts!

So, I have run into quite a strange issue. I myself love to build computers, however, every now and then I run into issues which I have no clue as to why it's happening, and unfortunately, today I ran into one.

(Quick little story, however if lazy skip down :p)

As of recently, I had the opportunity to trade in my previous i7 6700k CPU for the newer i7 7700k at no cost to me, as a client who I was working for had to trade in for a different CPU and did not want to try and relist his CPU on websites such as eBay. So, I got myself a free upgrade (although not that massive of one, but yay!)

After a quick install of the new CPU, upgrading my motherboards BIOS to the latest version, and some quick driver installations, I was in business. Everything worked excellently, photo editing software processed like normal, games ran perfectly, everything was perfect. I also do developer work for game servers, meaning I edit config files and code custom plugins/addons for the server, and one of the people who I work for asked me to set up a test server for him.

(Here is where the issue begins)

After setting up the server on the remote host, my computer oddly started to lag. This usually happened to me with my previous CPU once every now and then, as I don't usually restart my computer due to it also being a server machine for smaller games with my friends, (games such as Rust for example). The usual fix is to reboot my computer, and I am golden for another month or so. However this time, something odd happened. The default clock speed for the i7 7700k CPU is 4.2GHz, but for a reason which I do not fully understand, it's clock speed was now 3.0GHz. I restarted again, however, this time going into the BIOS, and then the BIOS started to lag (which really confused me). The time it took for data to load was equivalent to some of the more slower PCs I have worked on (to give you an idea, I have a literal box of Pentium CPUs salvaged from countless stacks of PCs that I have in my workshop).

Trying to figure out what exactly was happening, I attempted to overclock it back up to its core clock speed (I know, I know, bad idea haha, but I was trying every idea possible). I managed to get the clock speed up to 3900Mhz (3.9GHz), however, that was the overclocked speed. I rebooted to set the speed back to defaults (Auto), and once I rebooted, the clock speed remained the same. At this point I became incredibly confused, seeing how in removing the overclock from the BIOS should remove the overclock unless something has changed with Intel in the past few days of me using the computer (which I highly doubt haha).

When it comes to CPUs and overclocking, however, I am not a total amateur, so don't worry about me making a mistake and frying the CPU (Unless I do something stupid, which is always a risk for pretty much everyone who does computer stuff, mistakes happen).

I also know for a fact that the CPU is acting this way completely on its own, I have not attempted an overclock since I installed the CPU and even then I turned it back to defaults after the first reboot. Thermal throttling is also doubtful, considering how idle temps are about 40*C, which is usual for this type of CPU. I've also checked if any of the cores were parked, which they were not, and I have also reset the motherboard's BIOS to optimized defaults just to be sure.

My build:
- Intel i7 7700k
- ASUS Sabertooth Z170 MARK 1
- EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
- 32GB G. Skill DDR4 RAM
- 1200W PSU by Thermaltake
- Corsair H70 Watercooling Rig
- Samsung Evo 850 SSD 250GB
- Seagate 3TB HDD 7200RPM
- WD 2TB HDD 7200RPM
- ASUS + PIONEER BR/DVD RW ROM Drives
- Seagate Ironwolf 6tb 7200RPM
- WD 3tb 7200RPM

Any help that you can provide is greatly appreciated! Hopefully we can figure out what is happening with the CPU, and hopefully create a solution for the issue for future viewers if this issue arises with others (which I believe it has, considering how there are a few other posts out there with similar titles, most of which I have viewed over to find no solution).

Images
f4e9ce97e89d667d0ca4248ef667ba26.png

7e8c6e8cbf48f3c5e6be6f4537fc2979.png

c53189a4b252ead76024a9e30f0ef54e.png
91683f5af9fd65744219fb9823dd7cab.png

ChromaMods

Commendable
Oct 23, 2016

I have already done this. I updated the BIOS for the board FIRST, then installed the new CPU of the board. It's not the BIOS being outdated which is causing the issue, I am running the latest release for my board.