Question Intel i7-920 cpu temperature 70c in idle and 100c on gaming

Dynamicrifle

Prominent
May 20, 2021
First thing i wanna say that sorry for my bad english
i have intel i7-920 and when i check my temperature its goes to 70c in idle using msi afterburner ( i didnt overclock my cpu)
but when gaming it goes to 100c but does not goes beyond 100c but there is no performance issue , i dont get lag spikes and sluttering and even in 100c and i can play games so well
i have 2800 rpm cpu fan and also new thermal paste but temperature showing 100c in gaming, but i dont have performance issue

i also check on my bios to see temperature and still it stays on 70c (sometimes 65c, 68c)

i also checked my motherboard temperature too in bios it was normal getting 45c and gpu also normal getting 42c in idle
but my cpu temperature high

is my temperature sensor bad or my cpu getting high temperature when playing?
please help me

Dynamicrifle

Prominent
May 20, 2021
@Dynamicrifle
What type of cooler? What paste did you use and how did you apply it? If you did not use enough, that can cause high temperatures.
it is stock cooler and i dont know which thermal paste i used and the computer professionals applyied thermal paste on my cpu

but there is no performance issue btw my pc works fine and me getting good fps wihtout lag spikes and

Jun 10, 2022
Because the age of the cpu i think you didn't change the thermal paste since a long time. The thermal paste not last forever, it would be a good idea to remove the cooler and replace the thermal compound (use a new good one). Have you checked if the fan is still working?

Dynamicrifle

Prominent
May 20, 2021
Because the age of the cpu i think you didn't change the thermal paste since a long time. The thermal paste not last forever, it would be a good idea to remove the cooler and replace the thermal compound (use a new good one). Have you checked if the fan is still working?
I have changed thermal paste in may 25th i think
i have given to tech shop and they replace it

and fans are working fine also

For the Intel OEM coolers, you have to make sure all 4 push pins on the cooler are inserted fully into the motherboard. You do this by pressing 2 pins in at a time, diagonally.

If you press these pins in one at a time, you will only get 3 pins to fully seat. Your idle temps show that the cooler was probably not installed correctly.

i dont get lag spikes and sluttering and even in 100c and i can play games so well
Intel thermal throttling works well. Their CPUs will run smoothly at 100°C but you will not get maximum performance at this temperature.

The reported BIOS temperature does not control the CPU. Ignore this temperature.

Dynamicrifle

Prominent
May 20, 2021
For the Intel OEM coolers, you have to make sure all 4 push pins on the cooler are inserted fully into the motherboard. You do this by pressing 2 pins in at a time, diagonally.

If you press these pins in one at a time, you will only get 3 pins to fully seat. Your idle temps show that the cooler was probably not installed correctly.

Intel thermal throttling works well. Their CPUs will run smoothly at 100°C but you will not get maximum performance at this temperature.

The reported BIOS temperature does not control the CPU. Ignore this temperature.
so that means that i am my pc is safe or not , is it okay to play games in these high temperature , my fans are connected correctly

Dynamicrifle

Prominent
May 20, 2021
so that means that i am my pc is safe or not , is it okay to play games in these high temperature

i checked my fans and it is properly installed correctly

i checked my fans
It is not the fans it is the entire heatsink that is likely not fully seated to the CPU. Try pushing on the 4 push pins that hold the heatsink to the motherboard. Push two pins at a time in an X pattern. Top left, bottom right and then top right, bottom left.

On some motherboards, it can be very difficult to get the heatsink to fully seat. The first three pins will be easy but the fourth pin will take a huge amount of pressure. Some Gigabyte boards were terrible for this. That is why the push pins need to be inserted into the motherboard two at a time, in a diagonal pattern. I like to do this with the motherboard outside of the computer case so I can look at the backside of the motherboard to make sure all four pins have gone all the way through the motherboard.

Your computer is probably still safe with the heatsink improperly installed. It will just run hotter than it should and you will get reduced maximum performance.

First thing i wanna say that sorry for my bad english
i have intel i7-920 and when i check my temperature its goes to 70c in idle using msi afterburner ( i didnt overclock my cpu)
but when gaming it goes to 100c but does not goes beyond 100c but there is no performance issue , i dont get lag spikes and sluttering and even in 100c and i can play games so well
i have 2800 rpm cpu fan and also new thermal paste but temperature showing 100c in gaming, but i dont have performance issue

i also check on my bios to see temperature and still it stays on 70c (sometimes 65c, 68c)

i also checked my motherboard temperature too in bios it was normal getting 45c and gpu also normal getting 42c in idle
but my cpu temperature high

is my temperature sensor bad or my cpu getting high temperature when playing?
please help me
Take the side panel off the case.
Any diff in temps?

Look close at the cpu cooler fins they can get packed with crud.

Dynamicrifle

Prominent
May 20, 2021
It is not the fans it is the entire heatsink that is likely not fully seated to the CPU. Try pushing on the 4 push pins that hold the heatsink to the motherboard. Push two pins at a time in an X pattern. Top left, bottom right and then top right, bottom left.

On some motherboards, it can be very difficult to get the heatsink to fully seat. The first three pins will be easy but the fourth pin will take a huge amount of pressure. Some Gigabyte boards were terrible for this. That is why the push pins need to be inserted into the motherboard two at a time, in a diagonal pattern. I like to do this with the motherboard outside of the computer case so I can look at the backside of the motherboard to make sure all four pins have gone all the way through the motherboard.

Your computer is probably still safe with the heatsink improperly installed. It will just run hotter than it should and you will get reduced maximum performance.
heat sinked is installed correctly too and i removed my case and checked side of heatsink it was cool not that much heat

Dynamicrifle

Prominent
May 20, 2021
These are high temps. Try using HWInfo (free) to confirm, but your idle temp in BIOS and Afterburner suggest it is accurate. I'd repaste and then reseat the cooler. If you can't do it yourself, bring it to A D
Take the side panel off the case.
Any diff in temps?

Look close at the cpu cooler fins they can get packed with crud.
i did it but temperature is same 80c in idle, i also tryed hwinfo it also showing same temperature

Dynamicrifle

Prominent
May 20, 2021

i also have a gigabyte motherboard too and heatsink are installed correctly
is there any other ways to check the temperature which is accurate without using software

heat sink is installed correctly
Did you take the time to look at the backside of the motherboard to confirm this? As I mentioned, heatsinks not fully attached was a common problem for Gigabyte motherboards from this era.

it was cool not that much heat
When the heatsink is not properly attached to the CPU, it will feel cool. Why? All the heat is trapped in the CPU. The heat is not being transferred to the cooler so the cooler will be cool to the touch.

any other ways to check the temperature
You can only use software to report the core temperatures. Use HWiNFO. It works well. Your temperature sensors within the CPU did not all fail at the same time. The i7-920 was a first generation Core i. After a lot of problems with the Core 2 Duo temperature sensors, Intel decided to use some higher quality temperature sensors in the Core i series. They are all reporting the same problem.

Reactions: straightawaykid

TRENDING THREADS