Question Intel i9-990KS vs AMD Ryzen 9 3950 - Need a conclusion on which is better..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nathancorp

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Hello All,

I’m just about exhausted with this debate and I can’t seem to decide which to go for the Intel i9-9900KS or the AMD Ryzen 9 3950x. To shed some more light I’ll be using this high end desktop PC for a mix of gaming and work. I also have a 4K screen so gaming and movies are important because that is pretty much the only entertainment I get due to my hectic and busy work schedule which spans around the clock. For work I’ll have 100s Of tabs open chrome and/or Firefox and several instances of MS office too. Due to my hectic work schedule I need to be able to play games ideally with these tabs open and without having to close everything down each time i want to play which is the case with my current PC which is also quite respectable in terms of specifications.

I recently posted for advice on my new build:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ryzen-9-3950x-or-i9-10920x.3553316/?view=date

Specs have changed from my original post after being enlightened about several facts, thanks to my vendor and above all thanks to this lovely, spectacular community at Tom’s hardware.

Here is my new build:

Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 1000 Watt
Motherboard Asus® PRIME X299 Deluxe II OR A AMD Ryzen 9 3950x compatible motherboard
Processor Intel® Core™ i9-9900KS OR an AMD Ryzen 3950
Memory 128GB - 8x16GB - 3000 or 3600Mhz
Video Card MSI Geforce RTX™ 2080 Ti 11GB
Sound Card Creative® Sound Blaster Z
Networking On-Board Ethernet
Operating System Drive - SSD Samsung® 970 EVO Plus - 1TB SSD - M.2 -
PCI Express
Data Drive - SSD or HDD Samsung® 860 EVO - 4TB SSD - SATA
Data Drive - SSD or HDD Samsung® 860 EVO - 4TB SSD - SATA
Optical Drive LG 8x DVD Writer External
64-Bit Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Every benchmark I’ve seen seems to favour the Ryzen 3950 for work station use and the Intel 9900KS for gaming on a 4K. Any light shed on which one I should use would be immensely appreciated. I really need to go ahead and finish this PC project.

Thanks so much in advance.

Jan 2, 2020
Always comes down. To total system cost. I found the letter pricing for itel systems than amd. Also as motherboards need memory you can afford I say use intel chip and get better gpu. Better or more memory

nathancorp

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Always comes down. To total system cost. I found the letter pricing for itel systems than amd. Also as motherboards need memory you can afford I say use intel chip and get better gpu. Better or more memory
Hello thanks for your input. Cost is not an issue here, I’m already getting the best GPU which is the RTX 2080ti, since the Titan RTX isn’t that much better for gamers and costs twice as much I believe it’s not a good fit.

Since cost is not an issue I’m going for highest end motherboard and 128GB DDr4 3200 Mhz memory.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020
Hello thanks for your input. Cost is not an issue here, I’m already getting the best GPU which is the RTX 2080ti, since the Titan RTX isn’t that much better for gamers and costs twice as much I believe it’s not a good fit.

Since cost is not an issue I’m going for highest end motherboard and 128GB DDr4 3200 rpm memory.

Thanks again.
Sorry about spelling..darn spellcheck