Intel: Integrated Graphics is Where It's At

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
[What do you think? Could this mark the beginning of the end of the need for high-end, $500 discrete graphics cards?]

$500 discrete graphics cards will dissapear. They will be replaced with better, cheaper Nvidia/ATI new cards.

Now, If Intel really cut the goods card market, it will only kill his own PC gamer market.

Intel: consoles don't need X86 compatibility. Destroy good graphics, and you will kill yourself.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation]Well, for one, Intel is currently the biggest vendor of graphics parts, outpacing anything from Nvidia or AMD -- and that’s completely thanks to the IGPs that come with the Intel chipsets.[/citation]

haha , Intel graphip sux big time , and Intel chipset cry for more juice , they got more market share is just because there is alot of noobs and brainwashed retard fanboy who don't know what they are buying for and believe on Intel advertisement .

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]engrpiman[/nom]Quake 3 is fun and look at quake live. if developers stopped trying to Pump more graphics and started to pump more fun we might have better games.[/citation]
Or maybe people should stop buying every ****ing FPS that comes out with good graphics and mediocre gameplay. (AKA 75% of the games on the market)

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Chances are quite slim that discrete is just going to dissappear... some enthusiasts may refuse to pay extra for embedded graphics and then they lose interest from the tech savy customers. Besides, we all know how much heat GPU's create. If I understand correctly, Intel is going to smash a super hot i7 and a GPU on 1 chip? 32nm I like though... :)

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Dear. God. No.
Developers make games for gamers. People who play games casually buy old games their systems can handle or play free online games with lower graphics requirements. Asking developers to divert major resources from cutting edge game development is so transparently self-serving for Intel and so obvisouly self-destructive for developers that I can't imagine anybody will fall for the hype.

ttcboy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
The only reason that i buy fast INTEL processor is to complement my High end Graphic card and to avoid bottlenecks. If we have to depend on lousy integrated graphic card, what's the need of fast cpu ? It will also kill the RAM market since we dun need to play game, we won't need a fast RAM also. How about High end Gaming mobos , we won't need them either. Throw the High power PSUs also since we dun need to power the discreet graphic cards.

In the end, Intel is killing itself and the whole industry.

INTEL think before u talk !!

G

Intel is forgetting one Extremely Big Issue here.

They might be selling more Graphics Chipsets, BUT........

(HERE"S THE KICKER)......

Most people DISABLE the Integrated Video and use a Video Card of their choice.

WAKE UP INTEL and smell the truth!

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I have not seen ANYTHING that's a theast the descrete graphics, even on notebooks.
What does Intel have? The GN40 chipset??
"If I understand correctly, Intel is going to smash a super hot i7 and a GPU on 1 chip? 32nm I like though... " -> What can this be? I didn't even hear rumors..

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Yes, and the number of gamers using those underpowered chip are at how much?

That's a lame excuse to use all numbers to represent gamers since there are so many more non gamers than gamers so Intel's point is moot.

Has anyone recently realized Intel sound desperate with lawsuits and these idiotic marketing schemes?

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
DOn't you guys remember intel saying the reason they didn't include IGPs on the P45/P43 is because people are just going to add discrete anyway? Just a ploy be intel to circumvent Nvidia's Ion platform.

G

Intel!! Wrong!! I just wish Intel would get back to improving their CPUs and stop mucking up the graphics industry. Integrated graphics does have a place - fill in the blanks.

methal

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I don't care if integrated graphics crap outsells 500 to 1 I will never use the integrated graphics. It does not compete.

G

Obviously the ansewer is simple: The definition of integrated and Discrete is going to change.

The motherboard will no doubt go through some changes. In the short term, I could easily see Integrated being the standard and discrete for extra goodies. Or gaming goes to consoles and integrated is used for simpler pc titles?

But one day someone might realize the simplest way to interact with computer is going to use the existing processing power of the brain and the brain becomes the motherboard. hmmm Cyborg goodness.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I think it would be great if developers made there games more scalable and thus letting us be able to play them on the road on poor performance IGP's while at home we can play them high-def full uber hd or what not.

It is not impossible to make game engine's scalable to begin with and for sure some games could step back on raw CPU crunching in stead of running it completely on the GPU.

There will always be 500usd graphic cards there is no doubt about that ... on the other hands IGP's are capable these days and since they have a huge market share there could be a lot of potential clients for those who dare to build a scalable engine and game.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Is intel runned by morons ? they make the fastest CPUs on the market and yet they try to convince people to downgrade everything to run on their crappy IGPs? And i belive the so called succes of their IGPs is due to laptops and ppl who don`t have a clue about what they are buying since they buy the company "Intel" look it has an Intel IGP it must be good since is intel no? (this going into the head of casual buyers)

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
integrated chips outsell discrete simply because people buy more computers. They still only have a select few number of gaming rigs (usually one, with the kids on consoles), but now sit with 3-4 laptops in a home. These aren't even used for gaming in the first place.
Essentially the number of gaming systems (desktop or laptops) have remained the same. Only the number of other systems has risen as prices have fallen.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Article: What do you think? Could this mark the beginning of the end of the need for high-end, $500 discrete graphics cards?

- I don't think the high-end graphic card will be obsolete or dropped any time soon. This tool is just another way for Intel to earn more money. I do agree with intel that PC games could run on an intel IGP chip, but with major graphic cutdowns.

The way I see it, we have pros and cons to this:

Pros:

- Game enabled PCs could cost alot less, and be avadible to a wide variety of users with diffrent budgets. This means more people would buy PCs for video games instead of consoles, for about the same price. BUT this would mean that Intel would have to step up their game by making IGP chips or the upcoming on-CPU graphic controllers capable of delevering PS3-level digital graphics for PC games running on Intel chipsets.
- This would infringe on the console market (PRO for me) and make more and more titles avadible for the PC. Also, this would increase PC game sales tenfold.
- Everyone could afford a gaming pc.
- Game developers could build a graphic preset into their games witch allows users to play modern games on intel IGP chips at decent framerates and visual quality presets, again, making modern PC gaming avadile for everyone.

Cons:

- The level of game graphics quality could drop or stagnate due to these hardware limitations (let's face it, an intel X4500 has about the same graphic power as a Geforce 4 MX 440.)
- High end graphics companys and their products could be a thing of the past (unlikely tough).
- Intel may decide to INCREASE the price of moherboards/chipsets with integrated graphics, thus getting us noware. (Trus in the Intel, the Intel will take as much of your monet as they can).

Other toughts.

I'd like to see an Intel integrated graphics solution for the i7, slapped on to the X58 chipset boards, coupled with a i940 and 6GB of high-end DDR3 meory (say 6GB of CL7.7.7.18 1600MHz DDR3 memory) run in 3D mark.

Until now, the on-board solution's main drawback was (and still is) no on board memory, witch means the chip must share with the sistem. This is very bad for performance. The GPU would get leftover bandwith and RAM memory, coupled with the latter at low speeds (say DDR2 667MHz), it makes for a GFX card with a 250MHz core, 32 or 64 bit memory interface, and say 256MB of memory running at 667MHz. Witch can be outperformed by a extremely low and GF7200 PCI-E.

If you slap-on some high perf. DDR3 memory, the performance shoud increase. For example: my sister owns an Acer notebook with integrated nvidia 7000m chipset. The graphics performance out of the box was horrible, unable to play even old games like Black & White 1.
I got a ideea and swapped out the 1 module of 2GB 533MHz of ram with a couple of Nania 1GB DDR800 CL5 modules. This (i hoped) would deliver faster memory for the on board GPU and double the memory bus (dual channel 128bit). The 3D Mark 01 score jumped from 2800pts to 5781pts. Impressive right? Imagine it reaching ~ 9000pts with DDR3 Memory.

Now - if INTEL would sit teir corporate butts down, and build a on board chip - witch could take advantage of the I7's 196bit memory interface and high-speed DDR3 memory, also bunp up the IGP's clock rate, things could get interesting.

That said, i leave you to talk amongst yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.