Intel Introduces Faster Atom N470 at 1.83 GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]non-numb-nutz[/nom]Woohoo!!! Pointless tiny speed bump... This is like when people ask my advice on a laptop: "Should I spend an extra $100 to get the 2.2ghz processor instead of the 2.0ghz?"No, numb-nuts, you'll never be able to tell the difference...I'd hardly rate this as news-worthy TBH...[/citation]

well said

neblogai

Distinguished
Not pointless at all. N470 comes with integrated graphics and memory controler at a cost of 1W. IIRC, old Atom used 4,5W + 16,5W for the inefficient chipset- this has changed- just wait till you see battery life numbers for netbooks with the new Atom.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]duk3[/nom]It's because some posters are members of TH and others are not.[/citation]
It's also for new members, low post count, let's others know it is newish account.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
pfffft.

you can get an AMD septron AM3 CPU running at 2.7 GHZ for 31 bucks shipped!

and you can even unlock the second core!

just like the unmeasurable speed bump with the Atoms CPU speed...so goes the unmeasurable electric bill comparison of the sempron VS. the Atom.

you can keep your Atom I will continue to use my i7

captainm27

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
[citation][nom]danimal_the_animal[/nom]pfffft.you can get an AMD septron AM3 CPU running at 2.7 GHZ for 31 bucks shipped!and you can even unlock the second core!just like the unmeasurable speed bump with the Atoms CPU speed...so goes the unmeasurable electric bill comparison of the sempron VS. the Atom.you can keep your Atom I will continue to use my i7[/citation]

Thanks for the input.

captainm27

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]It's also for new members, low post count, let's others know it is newish account.[/citation]

Opps, this is what I meant for thanks for the input.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]non-numb-nutz[/nom]Woohoo!!! Pointless tiny speed bump...[/citation]

Don't knock a 10% improvement. I don't remember anyone saying AMDs New Year 100 MHz speed bumps (from 2.9 GHz to 3.0GHz) weren't newsworthy.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]danimal_the_animal[/nom]just like the unmeasurable speed bump with the Atoms CPU speed...so goes the unmeasurable electric bill comparison of the sempron VS. the Atom[/citation]

It's about battery life. And while 10% won't dramatically improve the usability of netbooks, it's definitely measurable.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I'd say an 18W Core i5 in a 10" form factor would not only use less power than the N280 platform, but provide a decent performance boost as well.

On a similar note, a lot of newer devices are already shipping with the Z550 Atom - 2.0GHz.

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]alagadnidonald[/nom]NO! it wont RUN Crysis![/citation]

Uhhh people are still using Crysis to measure hardware? Get with the times people Crysis is old . .

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
If I were in the market for a netbook today, I would wait for awhile, there are many changes happening and I would want to pull the trigger for hardware that will be completely out of production 2-3 months after it's release.

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Crysis seems to still be a decent benchmark for lower end hardware. What's the new benchmark game where top gaming rigs get sub-50 fps?

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
The atom will be replaced with the Core I3 eventually they're just trying to pump what they can out of the platform while it's still being used. Nothing wrong with that.

redplanet_returns

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Woohoo!!! Pointless tiny speed bump... This is like when people ask my advice on a laptop: "Should I spend an extra $100 to get the 2.2ghz processor instead of the 2.0ghz?"No, numb-nuts, you'll never be able to tell the difference...I'd hardly rate this as news-worthy TBH...

why is this deleted? what he's saying is legit and has a good point. the only possible offending sentence shouldn't offend anyone either, since he's just expressing his side of the opinion, and seems to be aiming more at intel than tom's. someone at tom's is too censor-happy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS