Intel Introduces New 520 Series Line of SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but after reading this it sounds like Intel is just doing a rebranding of the same SF2281 synchronous nands that are currently powering the Vertex 3, Mushkin Chronos Deluxe and the Patriot version. While I'm sure Intel will offer better support and longer warranties, does it still merit a jump in prices this significant?

zaho0006

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
[citation][nom]a4mula[/nom] While I'm sure Intel will offer better support and longer warranties, does it still merit a jump in prices this significant?[/citation]

Coming from someone who's been dealing with a Sandforce not being found on boot and a few BSODs, I can see where business users would gladly pay for a more tested drive.

Heck I'm cheap and I'm even considering it next time around.

kaisellgren

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
The price seems pretty much the same I paid for Vertex 3 Pro one year ago, maybe a few bucks less. Yet there is no real improvement, at least not easily seen after a quick look.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
you are paying more because intel made themselves known for reliable drives. if that holds true now... its an extra 40$ for piece of mind... and a 5 year warrenty.

G

I would argue that OWC has pretty good prices for cheaper and has better sustained reads and writes but this Intel SSD looks pretty good.

I can get the Corsair Force 3 with nearly the same speed specs with great customer reviews.
- 60GB at $100
- 120GB at $170
- 180GB at $250
- 240GB at $315
- 480GB at $680

Sorry Intel I'll stick with other manufacturers that can make high quality and fast products for much lower prices. Though for CPU's I'll stick with Intel unless AMD pulls a rabbit out of their hat like the Athlon 64.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Great article but it sort of reminds me of the previous article "Does Your Fast SSD Really Need SATA 6Gb/s? " In the end the answer was no but if you have it that's fine. This new SSD reminds me of that scenario. If you already have a sandforce ssd (say a vertex3) there's no reason to get this intel one. However if youve held off on the upgrade to SSD and are dying to get one right now... this new drive adds another brand and model to the ones you should be looking at.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Read the articlefrom just yesterday about how 'quality' manufacturers don't even akgnowledge BSOD issues with their drives, and how Sandforce willt ake months to push out a fix to OCZ, Samsung, Corsair, etc... while Intel has their drives patched and fixed, with no further issues, months ahead of time.

Saving $50 for not having a destroyed OS partition? You better believe it! Or pinch your pennies and buy from lesser manufacturers, and deal with the results. My question is, if you are that worried about price, why are you even looking at SSDs?

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
What the hell is wrong with intels pricing scheme?
Compared to Corsair Force 3, prices per Gb increase as you go higher than 120 Gb.
I don't get it why it would be more expensive to manufature bigger SSD;s.
With normal harddrives I understand that the density of the magnetic layer is a factor.
But with SSD;s shouldn't it be cheaper per GB to make the bigger units, since they just have to include the same electronics (the controllers and so on) once compared to buying, for example, four 120 GB compared to the one 480 GB.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]iceman1992[/nom]lower the price please[/citation]
Yeah no kidding....I might pay 15% of that. I'll wait.

In a sense, I'm wondering if they're screwing themselves over by having the prices that high. There won't be any demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.