Intel Introduces New Core i7, i5 Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
You can see how he stumbles when he speaks... because Intel really made a mess with their naming convention. Core i7s on two different motherboard sockets is too confusing for mainstream.

G

Woohoo!!! A new CPU that doesn't outperform the year-old Core i7, jacks up "mid-range" mobos up to price-points not seen in years, and features an on-die PCI-e controller, which apparently doesn't help and might actually hurt performance.

Intel's marketing people are laughing at you right now, I'm sure some fanboys are going to "upgrade" their i7 920 to a newer i5 just to be part of the celebration...

G

Microcenter still has i7 920s for $199 which is where I got mine, so I'm not exactly complaining about the price

jgv115

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Actually, the socket change is not as bad. The P55 is much more cheaper than X58. The socket change was necessary.

I think Intel have the upper hand now.

G

christop: Intel kept LGA775 for years, but everytime a new CPU came out, it wouldn't run on the older chipsets, so you had to spend a day researching it to find out that you still couldn't use the newest CPU in your motherboard(figuring out what could run Conroe was a nightmare).

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Great video, told us most of what we wanted to know.

One issue, while you can write a mean article Angelini, you need to work on your presentation skills. Desperately.

Status
Not open for further replies.