Intel: Ion Is Overkill, Don't You Know

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
First off, PineVIEW hasn't been released yet, so what is Intel's solution for people wanting upgrades before then? This statement is like Intel saying back in 2003 "the Athlon 64 is overkill, and besides we have the Core 2 coming out in 2006 and it will be even better).

They say it's overkill today, but 6 months from now when they release their own upgrade with an even faster GPU, it won't be overkill? And am I reading that right, is Intel saying Pineview will be more powerful than Ion? Is there any evidence to support this claim?

What a jackass.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
The ION is overkill so we are going to create an Atom with ""three times better than any current ARM architecture.""
** and it won't be overkill because it has the Intel logo....

Whatever.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I actually agree with Intel here, the 9400 is so powerful compared to the Atom, the processor is the bottleneck on the system.

If intel produced a more powerful mobile processor (the SU2700 has potential), the Ion platform would be quite a bit more worthwhile.

judeh101

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Note to Intel:
We don't give a f*ck! We need a good performance/power ratio. Plus, the Ion Platform uses a bit less power, thus helping netbooks with longer battery life. So what if it's an overkill? We don't have to upgrade as often. I'm sorry Intel, but I think the 945GSE and 945GC is simply couldn't catch up with Nvidia's "less power, more performance" Ion chipset.

Go ahead, if you wanna give me thumbs up or down, I don't care, this is my point of view.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
It seems pretty silly, since the Ion has lower power characteristics, but what Intel is saying is being taken out of context too.

They are saying the Ion with the current Atom is overkill, since the processor can be a bottleneck. They will be increasing the processor speed as well as the video core with Pinetrail, which is why he points to balance.

I'm not saying I agree with them about Ion, although I won't buy Nvidia stuff. If I did though, and had to buy an Atom based solution for whatever reason, I certainly would not consider the performance or low energy use "overkill" by any means. Intel has a crappy chipset for the processors, and Nvidia took advantage of the opening. They needed something better, and still do. This nonsense only makes them look small.

sloth2004

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
somehow, i guess we need to have a smarter operating system which can help to use CUDA so even atom cannot match the power of 9400, the extra juice can be used.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
You guys are all wrong. The ION platform DOES NOT have less power consumption than Intel's 945GSE, which has a TDP of just 6 watts max. The I/O Hub paired with it consumes only 3.3 watts. The 9400M chipset has a TDP of 15 watts. It only beats Intel's desktop reference design with the 945GC with it's massive 22 watt max TDP. So it's okay if you want an HTPC or the like, but for a netbook, you're burning more energy. For those very few people who demand HD capability out of a netbook, it is something to look into, but for 99% of the buyers out there, it makes very little sense. Also, I don't want to hear anyone talk about Flash video acceleration. It simply doesn't exist. There is little to no GPU-accelerated flash in today's products. Perhaps sometime in the future, but not now. So, when you go to Hulu.com with your ION platform netbook, you're just as screwed as that guy with the 945GSE chipset; the Atom is the sole factor for smooth playback. To the guys above me, sometimes it pays to actually KNOW something about a product instead of spouting off unsubstantiated perceptions as fact.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
wait, so its overkill, but when we release a MORE powerful one soon, that won't be overkill????? stop confusing us intel, just say what you really mean: everything everyone else makes is shit, only we, intel, make good stuff!!1!

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Intel is so full of themselves.

Basically they're saying Ion is overkill cause they can't make decent integrated graphics or low cost CPUs that would properly support Ion

pcfxer

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE! IDIOTS!

"Your setup is OVER kill" meaning, your offering is too powerful as in MORE powerful than it needs to be.

"By the way, our next gen will be more powerful than your current gen." What? You bash them for being too powerful and then you state that you will release a new product which is more powerful than something that is already 'too powerful'.

Current Intel < nVidia current (OVERKILL)

Status
Not open for further replies.