Intel: Ion Is Overkill, Don't You Know

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Anything faster than Intel's current offerings is "too fast".... Of course if AMD has a 10% IPC deficit, then AMD is "too slow", and you couldn't possibly get your work done on it with that "oh so noticeable" 10% difference in speed.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
According to the INQ, during a recent Questions and Answers session, Eden said he believed in balancing CPU and GPU performance, but claimed Intel's upcoming Pinetrail platform with the next gen Atom will have a stronger graphics core, rendering Nvidia’s Ion pointless and expensive.

For those above that can't read well here's what Eden said in bullet form for easy digesting:
1) CPU and GPU should be balanced
2) Pinetrail platform will be a balanced platform with better graphics than the current Intel offering.
3) Pinetrail will make Ion pointless and expensive.

Nowhere did he say that Ion is useless now. Don't fall for the editor's tricks.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Well the ION solution isnt exactly throwing a GTX295 in the mix. I cant imagine it bothers Intel as much as it is played out. The end result is grabbing a customer base that wants something slightly more capable than current netbooks without going into notebook pricing. It is still their CPU being sold and they can have more of their garbage integrated graphic chips to waller around in. Their pricing scheme of total chip package being cheaper then the CPU alone should be raising some eyebrows.

G

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981

Nvidia's Ion platform for netbooks is "overkill" and unnecessary. - Mooly Eden, 2009

G

Folks... we are talking atom here... netbooks... not notebooks! While I'm sure many are eager to play 1080p movies on a display with ~1/2 that resolution or not buy a bluray player, it IS OVERKILL FOR NETBOOKS. The problem is people are just morphing netbooks into give me everything a notebook can do, just make it dirt cheap.

Atom was not even targeted for note(or net)books originally - it was meant for smartphone, ultramobiles and the like. It is a FIRST GENERATION solution and now people want it, coupled with an ancient 130nm chipset solution to form a notebook computer! So Intel points out you will need to wait to a 2nd generation product for a better solution for a market segment the chip was not even originally targeted for! Oh those EVIL INTEL FOLKS!

I have a friend who would like Toyota to drop in a better engine so his Corolla could match a Porsche going 0-60 and top out at 200mph. He of course doesn't want the price to increase, does not want to buy a more expensive sports car from Toyota, and really won't be able to go 200mph anywhere he drives, but why is Toyota limiting its capability on the low end model?

goryachev

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Off topic - bug: when clicking on print, the heading statement (in this article, for example is: "There’s been a lot of talk about Nvidia’s Ion this week and apparently, Intel doesn’t like when the competition gets a couple of days of good press.") is not printed.

[citation][nom]scarywoody[/nom]Intel and Nvidia have been trading blows for years when they are competing in the same market. Nothing new.[/citation]

Haha nvidia's "can of whoopass" was more like a 6 pack

nickcardwell

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
If Ion is overkill and unnecessary why is Intel talking about there next gen Atom with more power and better graphics? Did anyone else catch this one too?

G

I think I could read my thoughts exactly in the first 4 posts of this thread!
For now Intel is nowhere. Ion is the best. If they don't like people to buy IONs, then they should have released their platforms with CPU/GPU/memory controller all on one chip a lot sooner.
They had as much time to integrate their GMA chipset on an Atom chip, as Nvidia had when it integrated their video chipset on the ATOM mobo's.

G

[citation][nom]netbook is not a notebook[/nom]Folks... we are talking atom here... netbooks... not notebooks! While I'm sure many are eager to play 1080p movies on a display with ~1/2 that resolution or not buy a bluray player, it IS OVERKILL FOR NETBOOKS. The problem is people are just morphing netbooks into give me everything a notebook can do, just make it dirt cheap.Atom was not even targeted for note(or net)books originally - it was meant for smartphone, ultramobiles and the like. It is a FIRST GENERATION solution and now people want it, coupled with an ancient 130nm chipset solution to form a notebook computer! So Intel points out you will need to wait to a 2nd generation product for a better solution for a market segment the chip was not even originally targeted for! Oh those EVIL INTEL FOLKS!I have a friend who would like Toyota to drop in a better engine so his Corolla could match a Porsche going 0-60 and top out at 200mph. He of course doesn't want the price to increase, does not want to buy a more expensive sports car from Toyota, and really won't be able to go 200mph anywhere he drives, but why is Toyota limiting its capability on the low end model?[/citation]
Dude,ever heard of box computers like the EeeBox,or Wind Box?
Ever heard that you can connect a regular monitor to atom powered netbooks?

G

[citation][nom]nickcardwell[/nom]If Ion is overkill and unnecessary why is Intel talking about there next gen Atom with more power and better graphics? Did anyone else catch this one too?[/citation]
Actually the overkill is not regarding performance, it is regarding power consumption.
The Ion platform has a graphics card manufactured I believe on 65nm or something.. Their next gen Atom processors indeed have a higher TDP, but that's only because they will host the bridge and the graphics processor added.
I think what Eden is trying to say is that the next gen Atom will perform the same to better, while consuming less power than the Ion platform,which in my mind is good!
And who knows better than Eden? Don't you think Intel tested the ION platform already?
Don't you think they would know how it performs and how their newer system will perform?

I guess Intel will lay the mark on getting graphics good enough to play 4 year old (or older) games, and watching HD movies. While Nvidia ION will consume more energy but will perform better in gaming.
Not that it matters on the local 1024x600 screen resolution. It probably only manifests with more modern games and on external monitors with higher resolutions.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Saying a computer's processing power is overkill is kinda like saying my bank account is overkill (it isn't), or my car has too much power (It doesn't). Such things just don't make any sense when I hear them.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
awww.... is somebody mad because they're going to demolish a particular aspect of their netbook monopoly? well, intel... sometimes other companies are better than you at... everything... so suck it up and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.